The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Past is the region of sobs, the Future is the realm of song. In the one crouches Memory, clad in sackcloth and ashes,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,253
The Past is the region of sobs, the Future is the realm of song. In the one crouches Memory, clad in sackcloth and ashes, mumbling penitential prayer; in the sunshine of the other Hope flies with a free wing, beckoning to temples of success and bowers of ease.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 6:35:36 AM

Neurons: 4,778,924

Quotation from The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce):

PAST, n. That part of Eternity with some small fraction of which we have a slight and regrettable acquaintance. A moving line called the Present parts it from an imaginary period known as the Future. These two grand divisions of Eternity, of which the one is continually effacing the other, are entirely unlike. The one is dark with sorrow and disappointment, the other bright with prosperity and joy. The Past is the region of sobs, the Future is the realm of song. In the one crouches Memory, clad in sackcloth and ashes, mumbling penitential prayer; in the sunshine of the other Hope flies with a free wing, beckoning to temples of success and bowers of ease. Yet the Past is the Future of yesterday, the Future is the Past of to-morrow. They are one-the knowledge and the dream.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:44:26 AM

Neurons: 197,113
Daemon wrote:
The Past is the region of sobs, the Future is the realm of song. In the one crouches Memory, clad in sackcloth and ashes, mumbling penitential prayer; in the sunshine of the other Hope flies with a free wing, beckoning to temples of success and bowers of ease.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Yeah. The Future may be as gloomy as the Past and the Past may be as bright as the Future. It all depends on your current disposition and perspective which you did choose to live with...
renee talley 1
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:14:38 AM

Neurons: 2,816
Shhh Shhh Speak to the hand Anxious I look back and my shadow.when I look forward God has promised me a doublw. For a person only bass his theory this is an injustice for my dignity, i trace the memory for a fleeting momment
There is calamity when a second ago is my past. Hence forth being close to the heart is truly an act of genuine concern
for your fellow mankindApplause Dancing Applause Whistle
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:50:08 PM

Neurons: 519,707
Evidently, a very few people said most everything.