mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

a confused sentence, please help to explain. Options
QP
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:08:51 AM

Neurons: 7,506
Hi friend,

I get confused the the bold sentence, could you please help to explain:-

After the judge sentenced John, John’s head rose slowly, and he met the judge’s gaze.

John: “Screw you,”
Judge: “What did you say?”
John: “I said screw you, and the district attorney, and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, and this pathetic excuse for a lawyer you dumped on me, and everybody else who had a hand in framing me.” The words spilled out in a crescendo.

Does he mean a lawyer who dumped me to agree with this pathetic offer?

Thank you.
QP
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:29:37 AM

Neurons: 51,942
QP wrote:
Hi friend,

I get confused the the bold sentence, could you please help to explain:-

After the judge sentenced John, John’s head rose slowly, and he met the judge’s gaze.

John: “Screw you,”
Judge: “What did you say?”
John: “I said screw you, and the district attorney, and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, and this pathetic excuse for a lawyer you dumped on me, and everybody else who had a hand in framing me.” The words spilled out in a crescendo.

Thank you.
QP

If a person can't afford to hire his own lawyer, the court will appoint one to represent him. That lawyer may, or may not, be a very good one, or be interested in being a strong advocate.

In your sentence above, John is saying the lawyer is worthy of contempt; that the lawyer that the judge appointed for him is not a good lawyer. He says the lawyer is not even a "good excuse" for a lawyer, and was simply "dumped" on him by the judge.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
renee talley 1
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:07:43 PM

Neurons: 2,816
Think d'oh! Speak to the hand Before I give you my answer to start off bat John was so distraught that his emotions were very negative.
The judge tried to help John to calm down; but didn't exactly calm down. The judge caught John off guard. Since
john wasn't willing to cooperate with the district attorney and the judge; that is how John ended up with the short end of the stick.

"I said screw you, and the district attorney, and the Judge and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation , and this pathetic excuse for a lawyer you dumped on me, and everybody else who had in framing me." The words spilled out in a crescendo.

Also as John looked that the help he needed could have helped him to be in charge with his emotions. Benjamin Franklin stated: God loves those who learn to help themselves.

Biblically speaking the book in the old testament is the entire chapter of Proverbs. It's worth not just using 1 verse of scripture and take that verse of scripture out of context. The verses before and after that verse is best recommended to catch the meaning of what you're seeking.Whistle Dancing Applause Dancing Applause
NKM
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:28:52 PM

Neurons: 283,778
FounDit's analysis is exactly right.

Renee seems to have missed the point.

thar
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:52:20 PM

Neurons: 73,885
Just to clarify - this is in idiomatic use of 'poor excuse for' to give this specific meaning.

Quote:
a miserable, poor, etc. excuse for sth

a very bad example of something:

It was a miserable excuse for a meal.

Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Not of good quality

And just for your information, to help you if you want to know about a mistake in your question.
you were confused
the sentence was confusing

You could have a 'confused sentence', if it was very badly written and unintelligible - but that is not the case here. It just contained an idiom you didn't understand.
QP
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:04:24 PM

Neurons: 7,506
Oh! Thank you a lot everyone. I got it, now.