The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Establish Options
D00M
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 12:01:58 AM

Neurons: 7,144
Hello respected teachers,

What does "establish" mean in the following? "Ascertain"?

Bernstein is clearly galvanised by covering a big story again but there is no hint of glee. “I would hardly call covering Trump a joyous experience,” he told the Guardian. “I think that this is a dangerous time for America, that we have a president with no regard for the rule of law or for the truth. I say those things not pejoratively. It’s reportorially established and I think that’s what’s so extraordinary.”

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:13:04 AM

Neurons: 174,372
There are two definitions which fit - and one is true but the other is only 'assumed'.
A good use of an ambiguous word to imply something without actually saying it.

4. to cause (a principle, theory, etc) to be widely or permanently accepted
Reporters have caused the idea that "we have a president with no regard for the rule of law or for the truth" to be widely accepted. (This is correct - it is widely accepted, and reporters caused that.)

3. to prove correct or free from doubt; validate: to establish a fact.
Reporters have proven that the president has no regard for the law or for truth. (This is not really correct - I've seen some proof, but it's not 'free from doubt' at all.)

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!