The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Before I do anything I feel that I have choice, and that influences what I do; but afterwards, when the thing is done, I... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,567
Before I do anything I feel that I have choice, and that influences what I do; but afterwards, when the thing is done, I believe that it was inevitable from all eternity.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:00:47 AM

Neurons: 61,367
This quote should be in 'Philosophy and Religion' perhaps.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:10:56 AM

Neurons: 6,355
"Before I do anything...""???

One is always doing something, even if it's said to seemingly amount to nothing. It's just one of those many things that we can't do nothing..err..anything about. One might as well try bashing one's head against a wick brawl. Brick wall

Yaqub Arfaj
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:15:54 AM

Neurons: 954
Nice quote
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:16:10 AM

Neurons: 4,643,523

Context from :Of Human Bondage

CHAPTER LXVII

“Thank God, I’m free from all that now,” he thought.

And yet even as he said it he was not quite sure whether he spoke sincerely. When he was under the influence of passion he had felt a singular vigour, and his mind had worked with unwonted force. He was more alive, there was an excitement in sheer being, an eager vehemence of soul, which made life now a trifle dull. For all the misery he had endured there was a compensation in that sense of rushing, overwhelming existence.

But Philip’s unlucky words engaged him in a discussion on the freedom of the will, and Macalister, with his well-stored memory, brought out argument after argument. He had a mind that delighted in dialectics, and he forced Philip to contradict himself; he pushed him into corners from which he could only escape by damaging concessions; he tripped him up with logic and battered him with authorities.

At last Philip said:

“Well, I can’t say anything about other people. I can only speak for myself. The illusion of free will is so strong in my mind that I can’t get away from it, but I believe it is only an illusion. But it is an illusion which is one of the strongest motives of my actions. Before I do anything I feel that I have choice, and that influences what I do; but afterwards, when the thing is done, I believe that it was inevitable from all eternity.”

“What do you deduce from that?” asked Hayward.

“Why, merely the futility of regret. It’s no good crying over spilt milk, because all the forces of the universe were bent on spilling it.”

Read more:http://www.readcentral.com/chapters/W-Somerset-Maugham/Of-Human-Bondage/069
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:44:40 AM

Neurons: 471,247
Medical education wasted on him.
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:08:48 AM

Neurons: 190,531
Daemon wrote:
Before I do anything I feel that I have choice, and that influences what I do; but afterwards, when the thing is done, I believe that it was inevitable from all eternity.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

Yeah. At first, it’s the bad choices, and later lack of responsibilty for its consequences when the thing is done... It’s the best what we can do out of it all.
Jana D. Madill
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:57:59 PM

Neurons: 33
I believe we've been given a mind and the free will to choose what we will and depending on our choices, comes the outcome or consequences, in which God has predetermined. I use to believe in coincidences, but not anymore. After God personally got my attention (about 9 years ago) to let me know He was still in charge and all the things that led up to that, which started with "having NO DOUBT, whatsoever, that these things that were happening, were from no one but my loving, humorous (cause he knew I was going to be freaked out at first)Father in Heaven. I believe everyone we meet, everything that happens in our lives is predetermined by the Master. No ifs ands or buts.