The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It would be better to give up the notion of writing until you are better prepared ... You must not become a mere peddler of... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,253
It would be better to give up the notion of writing until you are better prepared ... You must not become a mere peddler of words. The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say.

Sherwood Anderson (1876-1941)
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 4:59:39 AM

Neurons: 8,250
[...] The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say.

'Nuff said! Brick wall
pedro
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 5:05:33 AM

Neurons: 61,899
Daemon wrote:
It would be better to give up the notion of writing until you are better prepared ... You must not become a mere peddler of words. The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say.

or write....

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 5:36:50 AM

Neurons: 2,755,517
Quotation of the Day

QuaestorRexRegis
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:00:59 AM

Neurons: 2,373
This is very thoughtful and thought provoking, and yet if I wait to write about it because I want to declare what others are thinking then my own thoughts become worthless and we will end up just sitting across from one another without uttering a word.
cris33
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:29:03 AM

Neurons: 8
„I am a lover and have not found my thing to love.“

ceoj
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 8:49:36 AM

Neurons: 8,837
I guess all I have been is a mere peddler of words. I can never figure out what people think. In face, who can do that? People could be thinking anything and the only thing you have to go on is their words, body language, facial expressions, etc. but none of those things can absolutely tell what they're really thinking. Sometimes people will say of do anything for the wrong reasons. For instance, you might say nice things about someone to their face even though you secretly hate them. It's impossible to know what people are thinking. Besides, who cares? It's their business not yours.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 8:53:09 AM

Neurons: 4,778,924

Context from : Winesburg,Ohio 1919.

The Teacher

Kate Swift’s mind was ablaze with thoughts of George Willard. In something he had written as a school boy she thought she had recognized the spark of genius and wanted to blow on the spark. One day in the summer she had gone to the Eagle office and finding the boy unoccupied had taken him out Main Street to the Fair Ground, where the two sat on a grassy bank and talked. The school teacher tried to bring home to the mind of the boy some conception of the difficulties he would have to face as a writer. “You will have to know life,” she declared, and her voice trembled with earnestness. She took hold of George Willard’s shoulders and turned him about so that she could look into his eyes. A passer-by might have thought them about to embrace. “If you are to become a writer you’ll have to stop fooling with words,” she explained. “It would be better to give up the notion of writing until you are better prepared. Now it’s time to be living. I don’t want to frighten you, but I would like to make you understand the import of what you think of attempting. You must not become a mere peddler of words. The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say.”[/b]

Read more :https://www.bartleby.com/156/17.html

Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 12:47:22 PM

Neurons: 197,113
Daemon wrote:

The process of thinking is so agile that people themselves often don’t know exactly what they are thinking about...
thar
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 1:13:24 PM

Neurons: 73,884
That is the difference between quoting a person and quoting from literature.

A big difference. Brick wall
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 5:49:26 AM

Neurons: 61,899
Best to stay schtum then.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst