The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

on or to Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:01:53 AM

Neurons: 15,397
Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said in May that his Pakatan Harapan government would seek to cancel the HSR, which was agreed on by the previous Barisan Nasional government in 2016, because it was just too expensive right now.

Should it be "to" instead?

Thanks.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:40:54 AM

Neurons: 69,967
No, I don't think so. But it depends on what HSR is.

If you agree to something, then someone else makes a proposal and you decide to let it happen, or sign up to it.

eg
If one country says "I will lift sanctions if you stop your nuclear programme" and the other country says "OK" then they are agreeing to it.

But if you agree on something then you discuss it and come to a conclusion.
So the government discusses what it should do, and although people have different ideas, they eventually agree on a plan, "We will do this."

So, if HSR is a railway project that the government put forward, then they agreed on it.

But if it is something a private company (or any external organisation) put forward and the government said they would provide the money, then they agreed to it.

eg
You and I are going to watch a film.
If you tell me what film we are going to watch, and I don't argue, then I agree to it.

IF we discuss it and both put forward suggestions and chose one we both like, then we agree on it.

Because in your example it is 'the government' I can't tell if that is one side (the body that agrees to something) or both sides (the diverse opinions that agree on something).
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:58:18 AM

Neurons: 169,962
As a note - I would actually expect (in any writing other than a newspaper headline) to see "agreed upon by . . ."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 12:21:38 PM

Neurons: 15,397
Thanks, thar and DragOnspeaker.