The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

tense Options
D00M
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:35:53 AM

Neurons: 7,182
Hello respected teachers,

Would you please check my answer to the following question?

Find the ten tense mistakes in the letter from Carlo to his girlfriend, Marta. Then correct the mistakes.

Dear Marta,

I'm missing you so much. I have no idea what I do here without you. Every day is so empty, and I dream of you every night. I wonder if you suffer as much without me.
What do you do these days? Do you study hard, or do you spend a lot of time with your friends? I hope you study hard. I want you to pass your exams so that you can come as soon as possible to be with me.
Right now I'm lying in my bed and writing to you. I try to concentrate, but it's difficult because my roommate takes a nap. He always takes a nap in the middle of the day and then stays up all night. He loves to party.
As for me, I love nothing or no one but you. I hope you are loving me too.

All my love,
Carlo

I've underlined the parts I thought were wrong.

And here is my correction:

I'm miss you so much. I have no idea what I am doing here without you. Every day is so empty, and I dream of you every night. I wonder if you are suffering as much without me.
What are you doing these days? Are you studying hard, or are you spending a lot of time with your friends? I hope you are studying hard. I want you to pass your exams so that you can come as soon as possible to be with me.
Right now I'm lying in my bed and writing to you. I am trying to concentrate, but it's difficult because my roommate is taking a nap. He always takes a nap in the middle of the day and then stays up all night. He loves to party.
As for me, I love nothing or no one but you. I hope you love me too.

However, I'm not sure about the parts shown in blue;I still think the original could be correct. Would you please shed some light on it to dispel my doubts?

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
D00M
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:48:05 PM

Neurons: 7,182
I think I should mention that the above is not homework whatsoever. I'm doing self-study with my new grammar book.

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:47:28 AM

Neurons: 174,675
I would be interested to know what the "answer sheet" says.
Definitely, the first one could be correct as the simple present OR the progressive. However, it should be "I miss you so much" not "I'm miss you so much".

The second blue one actually sounds better to me as a habitual/customary/usual feeling.

The ones you have changed in red are correct.

I think it would make more sense if the two blue ones were matched (either both progressive or both not).

I'm missing you so much. I have no idea what I'm doing here without you. Every day is so empty, and I dream of you every night. I wonder if you're suffering as much without me.
This shows that Marta is away temporarily - maybe a couple of months.
The 'missing' and the 'suffering' will be over relatively soon, as soon as she learns what she needs to learn.

I miss you so much. I have no idea what I'm doing here without you. Every day is so empty, and I dream of you every night. I wonder if you suffer as much without me.
This sounds more permanent, maybe a couple of years at university.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!