The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Please check for miatakes Options
s21d
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:50:13 AM

Neurons: 7,864
I had a privilege of being part of south park street cemetry walk. Dr. Tathagata Neogi's profound inaight into colonial history had brought alive the leafy and sleepy cemetry. As we toured through the cemetry, I learnt about various grave architecture and the famous peraonalities who went into eternal sleep in that place. The walk was peppered with rich historical anecdotes. For a while I was tranaported to the colonia era. I am looking forward to going on many such walks.

A person who conducts historical guide asked me to write a review. This is my humble attempt. Please check it for mistakes
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:10:45 PM

Neurons: 170,411
Hi!

It is easily understood, but contains quite a few 'typographical errors' and spelling mistakes, which you need to watch out for.

I had a privilege of being part of south park street cemetery walk. Dr. Tathagata Neogi's profound insight into colonial history had brought alive the leafy and sleepy cemetery. As we toured through the cemetery, I learnt about various grave architecture and the famous personalities who went into eternal sleep in that place. The walk was peppered with rich historical anecdotes. For a while I was transported to the colonial era. I am looking forward to going on many such walks.

The usual phrase is "I had the privilege . . ."
South Park Street is a name and needs capital letters.
The past perfect "had brought alive" doesn't fit - the simple past works well.
"Various grave architecture" is a little awkward. "Architecture" is uncountable, so you can't easily use 'various'. Probably the best way is to say "various types of architecture".

I had the privilege of being part of South Park Street cemetery walk. Dr. Tathagata Neogi's profound insight into colonial history brought alive the leafy and sleepy cemetery. As we toured through the cemetery, I learnt about various types of architecture and the famous personalities who went into eternal sleep in that place. The walk was peppered with rich historical anecdotes. For a while I was transported to the colonial era. I am looking forward to going on many such walks.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
s21d
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:17:12 PM

Neurons: 7,864
Thank you Drag0nspeaker. I hope you are doing well. It is such a relief to hear from that I have finally stopped making grammatical mistakes. Yes, those were typographical errors.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:20:05 PM

Neurons: 170,411
s21d wrote:
Thank you Drag0nspeaker. I hope you are doing well. It is such a relief to hear from that I have finally stopped making grammatical mistakes. Yes, those were typographical errors.
Sorry, I hit Post before I finished - however, the other mistakes were rather minor compared to many.
You have improved dramatically - keep practising!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:22:18 PM

Neurons: 43,782
Added to Drago's remarks:

"I had the privilege....." not 'a'.

"...being part of South Park Street cemetery walk." Capital are ALWAYS used for proper names including Street names - though I'm sure you know that?

The only thing I took issue with was the cemetery being "brought alive". Yes, historical walks can bring history alive to us - but take note of where you are if you want to use this phrase. The idea of a cemetery being "brought alive" is either really creepy, hilarious, or would convince people this walk is a pretty bad idea!!

ps. Although spelling/typing mistakes don't come into "Grammar", they are errors and can make a passage seem really messy and as if the writer doesn't give a damn. "Proofing" one's own writing (looking for mistakes) doesn't actually guarantee mistakes will never show up, but it is part of writing anything. Especially on a site such as this, or in a comment that is going to go public. It's courteous to save your readers seeing their language mangled too much!