The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Why socks? Options
rmberwin
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 4:15:26 PM

Neurons: 594
Einstein didn't wear socks. I gave up the practice years ago and felt much more comfortable. They make sense in cold weather, but why would anyone use them in warm weather, any more than wearing gloves? It seems to be just a weird cultural habit. Einstein was famously practical, and he would boil an egg in soapy water to simultaneously clean the pot.

"Great art should never be mushed up!!"
Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 9:53:54 PM

Neurons: 48,155
Hi rmberwin,

Socks can wick up sweat in hot weather. How do you keep the smell down in your shoes?

Since egg shells are porous, Einstein must have liked the taste of soap. Since they didn't put all the chemicals in soap then that they do now at least he would not have to contend with those.

In summer we wear sockettes with laced shoes and the rest of the time we wear sandals. They are open so don't seem to smell so much, but the insoles do change colour.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:59:19 AM

Neurons: 7,217
Socks is help wick the sew eat away from the cracks between the toes and help prevent bacteria from building up, and stop your feet sticking to the insoles, I prefer to wear them than not.

The key is wear ones made from natural fibres such as cotton rather than synthetic ones.

Hope your explanation reminds me of the Chinese dish of Virgin boy eggs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

Urine is collected from boys owns are prepubescent and eggs are then boiled in this urine, which colours the shell and causes the white and yolk to take on a certain flavour.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:51:20 PM

Neurons: 51,747
I love eggs, but that is a cultural practice I certainly won't be appropriating...Sick

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 5:33:15 PM

Neurons: 10,201
FounDit . . . I was roaring with laughter.

Another Einstein story I've been told: he was presented with a $100 or $1,000 check as an award, and used the check as a bookmark. He took the book to read in the park and absent-mindedly left it on the park bench.

I don't think he liked wearing neckties either. But in which direction will this thread turn?
C185445
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:14:33 AM

Neurons: 171,705
Here in Spain in summer a lot of people don't use socks when they wear sneakers. I personally don't like that practice because I don't like to feel the friction of my shoe directly all over the skin of my feet. Also, as others have said already, feet sweat (and not just in summer, when it's cold outside they do sweat a bit as well even if you don't notice it), so without shocks I personally would feel the need of washing my shoes with every use even in winter because of sweat.

What I don't like and I don't wear often: underpants (minus when I'm at work). If you are clean (I always poop before taking my shower, never after) there is not need to use them. In contrast to the other case, washing your pants is not as problematic as washing your shoes.
On the other hand I want that freedom for my balls as often as it's possible. Dancing