The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Being well-informed Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:59:48 AM

Neurons: 8,823
Approximately one in five clinical negligence claims made against a doctor are in relation to medication errors. Adverse events and inappropriate prescribing are estimated to cost more than £750 million per year, highlighting the importance of doctors being well-informed on the relevant medical law and ethics.

https://www.medicalprotection.org/uk/about-mps/media-centre/media-gallery/mps-blogs/blogs/prescribing/prescribing-blog-posts/prescribing/2013/08/08/the-medical-law-and-ethics-that-pertain-to-safe-prescribing

What is the grammatical function of "being" in "being well-informed..."?

Is "highlighting...ethics" an adverbial phrase or an adverbial clause(non-finite one)?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:15:04 AM

Neurons: 166,621
Hi!

There are probably other ways to "parse" this sentence, but here's my view.

I think that I would call "highlighting the importance of doctors being well-informed on the relevant medical law and ethics" an "adverbial phrase of result or circumstance" (which is ONE of the many types of adverbial mentioned in some grammars - but not in others). It shows one of the circumstances which surround the main clause.
It is (to me) a phrase.
All the dictionaries I have (and the ones in TFD, and the Farlex Grammar) define 'clause' as having a subject and a predicate - and a predicate has a FINITE verb. Some people disagree with this and have re-defined 'clause' to include long phrases.

"Being" is a participle, and is part of the phrase "doctors being well-informed on the relevant medical law and ethics" which acts as a noun - the thing which is important.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:21:58 AM

Neurons: 8,823
Thanks
NKM
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:51:51 AM

Neurons: 234,821
Nobody asked, but …

 I'm not quite comfortable with "one in five … are". It just feels as if the verb should be singular.