The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It had been one of those kinds of days Options
mcurrent
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 2:20:34 AM

Neurons: 5,416
Hi. I have the text:

It took a long time to make it back to the lake because Bryce was limping so much. Even Griffin looked shaken. I just wanted to get back, have some dinner, and crawl into bed with my diary. It had been one of those kinds of days.

Can you explain me what "It had been one of those kinds of days" means. I can understand grammar but I can't understand usage of this phrase. Does it mean that day was the same like others?

Thanks in advance.
L.Rai
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 2:47:05 AM

Neurons: 846,620
mcurrent:

Not having more to go on I can only make the following assumption (as a Native Speaker), that what is implied is that the person had been having a bad day. Usually when we use that phrase "It had been ONE of THOSE kind of days" we are implying that the day had gone bad from the start, and may have even gotten worse as it progressed.

If you look at another clue in this text, the person Bryce was limping which implies he got hurt and Griffin was upset by something which from the text we can't be sure what. The next sentence gives us a little more insight that all this person wanted was to be back where it was "safe" and eat something then go to bed so this "bad" day would be over.

I hope that helps.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
mcurrent
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 3:42:16 AM

Neurons: 5,416
Thanks, L.Rai. You helped me a lot.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 9:25:53 AM

Neurons: 26,471
mcurrent wrote:
Hi. I have the text:

It took a long time to make it back to the lake because Bryce was limping so much. Even Griffin looked shaken. I just wanted to get back, have some dinner, and crawl into bed with my diary. It had been one of those kinds of days.

Can you explain me what "It had been one of those kinds of days" means. I can understand grammar but I can't understand usage of this phrase. Does it mean that day was the same like others?

It means that this day was like a type or class of days that involve a similar experience. As an idiom, "one of those days" typically refers to an unusually difficult day of unavoidable problems.

It's Just One of Those Things
Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
coag
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:21:07 AM

Neurons: 5,505
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:07:06 AM

Neurons: 43,440
mcurrent;

I know how difficult it is to know when to use idioms in another language - and this is quite a common one.So, first of all: - when we use this idiom we stress the word "those" Sometimes, when it's written, you'll see it in bold type,in italics
or underlined.

Usually, when you use this phrase, it's as background information to what it is you really want to say. i.e.It isn't the main point you're making, but it's a bit of an explanation about the main point. e.g:-

"I'm so sorry I didn't make it to watch your football match, son. But I'd had one of those kinds of days, so I wasn't paying attention to the time. And by the time I did check the time, your match had already finished."

The son isn't really interested in a long list of how the plumbing cut out when you were in the shower; your assistant called in sick; you were double booked for two meetings....and so on.

But from children to adults; for building labourer to shop staff to CEO - (I expect even to the Queen.) - Everybody from beggar to Baronet, understands what a disastrous day is.

So if someone comes home and throws themselves on the couch sighing & silent & you ask them what's up: if they use this phrase you know they don't want to talk right now. And you know immediately what's wrong with that person because we have all had the same experience of a truly disastrous day.(It's an experience every person on the planet has had). From newborn to the grave we can experience one of those kinds of days.
Anxious
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:19:57 PM

Neurons: 167,475
It really gets bad when it's one of those years!

Which reminds me to say - very often you will her/read is as just "It's been one of those days!" (without the 'kind of').

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!