The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Meet the guys who tape Trump's papers back together Options
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 1:37:16 PM

Neurons: 262,651
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/10/trump-papers-filing-system-635164

"Under the Presidential Records Act, the White House must preserve all memos, letters, emails and papers that the president touches, sending them to the National Archives for safekeeping as historical records."

"But White House aides realized early on that they were unable to stop Trump from ripping up paper after he was done with it and throwing it in the trash or on the floor, according to people familiar with the practice. Instead, they chose to clean it up for him, in order to make sure that the president wasn’t violating the law.

Staffers had the fragments of paper collected from the Oval Office as well as the private residence and send it over to records management across the street from the White House for Lartey and his colleagues to reassemble.
"

"Lartey did not work alone. He said his entire department was dedicated to the task of taping paper back together in the opening months of the Trump administration.

One of his colleagues, Reginald Young Jr., who worked as a senior records management analyst, said that during over two decades of government service, he had never been asked to do such a thing.

“We had to endure this under the Trump administration,” Young said. “I’m looking at my director, and saying, ‘Are you guys serious?’ We’re making more than $60,000 a year, we need to be doing far more important things than this. It felt like the lowest form of work you can take on without having to empty the trash cans.”
"

Now for the kicker:

"Lartey, 54, and Young, 48, were career government officials who worked together in records management until this spring, when both were abruptly terminated from their jobs. Both are now unemployed and still full of questions about why they were stripped of their badges with no explanation and marched off of the White House grounds by Secret Service.

Irene Porada, the head of human resources who personally terminated both men, did not respond to an email requesting comment. A White House spokesman also did not respond to a request for comment about the terminations.
"

Both Lartey and Young were forced to sign pre-written resignation letters without notice and without explanation.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 1:40:23 PM

And I wanted to thank Hope for the link to News and Guts as I'd not heard of that site. It's where I saw this article.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 5:02:58 PM

Neurons: 45,056
You are welcome, Proggy. I always liked Dan Rather. I heard about "New and Guts" through my son (a business financial exec who keeps up on international news) and now follow N & G on Twitter for sane true analysis of US news.

I wonder when these two ex WH employees told their director they wanted to do more than clean up after Trump. If it was before they got fired, the we can surmise who got wind of it. An entire department's time and money wasted because of T's arrogance. But that is probably small potatoes to other wasteful practices of a rich man in charge of billions that is not his own money but he gets to spend it.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 5:11:20 PM

I believe the real issue at hand is the fact that without these record keepers doing their actual legal and legitimate jobs and following the current occupant of the White House around and cleaning up the floors and waste baskets to recover these documents, there is no true record keeping going on. Without record keeping, there is no accountability.

Makes you wonder. What is happening to all of that documentation, now that those public servants have been fired?

Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 5:25:56 PM

Neurons: 45,056
progpen wrote:
I believe the real issue at hand is the fact that without these record keepers doing their actual legal and legitimate jobs and following the current occupant of the White House around and cleaning up the floors and waste baskets to recover these documents, there is no true record keeping going on. Without record keeping, there is no accountability.

Makes you wonder. What is happening to all of that documentation, now that those public servants have been fired?

It does make you wonder. Maybe I guessed the wrong reason for the firing. Or at least maybe not the main reason.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 5:38:28 PM

These record keepers knew their job and their responsibilities better than anyone. They then come across an occupant of the White House who knows nothing of their responsibilities, or his own. The occupant was not only doing something that easily would have been an impeachable offense for a Democratic President, but fired public servants who were trying to help him perform his legal duty that he remains opposed to.

Can't make this **** up. Just a few years ago, if even a couple of the "idiosyncrasies" we've talked about recently had occurred there would be multiple impeachment proceedings in play.

Washington DC has achieved that perfect storm of cowardice, malice and greed.