Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 3:24:58 PM

Neurons: 63,299
Quote:
In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube.

Looks like Zager and Evans may have been off my 4 millennia or so.

A Clinic Creating 3-Parent-Babies In Ukraine Stirs Controversy

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 1:13:42 PM

Neurons: 45,051
That's quite the experiment, Epi. It will be interesting to see what he creates.

The world is revolving and evolving quickly. Goodness knows what they'll do in the future in all human endeavour.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 4:00:39 AM

Neurons: 26,384
Epiphileon wrote:
Quote:
In the year 6565

I think George Orwell has dibs on this notion in terms of copyright. ;)

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
RuthP
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 4:22:29 PM

Neurons: 41,053
A bit earlier, and also from NPR. Three parent baby born 2017
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:03:06 AM

Neurons: 26,384
leonAzul wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:
Quote:
In the year 6565

I think George Orwell has dibs on this notion in terms of copyright. ;)

It would seem that I have my dystopian novels and their authors conflated.

My mistake.

Aldous Huxley is much more germane.

Anxious

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:51:55 AM

Neurons: 167,124
It's not exactly the order of magnitude of Orwell or Huxley or even John Wyndham's Consider Her Ways.

The heredity of the child is from the 'natural parents' - the nuclear DNA from both is used.
It is only the mitochondrial DNA (which is involved in producing energy for the developing cells) which comes from another person.

This headline is almost on the order of calling a baby who had a blood transfusion "a three-parent baby".

The techniques use are physically similar to those used in cloning and gene manipulation - but the actual procedure is not.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:51:15 AM

Neurons: 69,216
In the Faroe Islands there is a fatal mitochondrial disease that has reached levels higher than other populations due to the small population and founder effect. Now it has been identified it is screened for. It can be controlled with a constant drug regimen to 'feed' the mitochondria, but it has caused some to think about whether to have children (1 in 33 residents is a carrier) - but the answer is to adopt, not engineer the mitochondria!
Instant widening of gene pool and needy babies get families.
Albeit in the Faroe Islands! Whistle

I have nothing against mitochondrial intercession from a moral standpoint, but isn't this the better solution, surely?

Quote:
Just 48,000 people live in the Faroe Islands, but they include children from Ethiopia, Korea and India, welcomed with open arms in this remote Atlantic archipelago where adoption rates are the world's highest.

Among the newest citizens is Anna Maria, who blew out the four candles on her birthday cake in the capital Torshavn one recent day, surrounded by family and friends.

Two years ago Anna Maria was adopted from a New Delhi orphanage by two local lawyers. Brother Ludvik, seven months older, was born in Bulgaria.

A Danish autonomous territory, the Faroe Islands have "the highest number of adopted children in the world in proportion to the population," says Mette Garnes, a social worker at DanAdopt, one of two Danish adoption centres.

With 10 to 15 children adopted each year from Bolivia, Bulgaria, China, Ethiopia, India, South Africa, South Korea and Vietnam, the isolated and remote Faroe Islands have an unusually multiethnic population.

"In terms of appearances, it may look like a multiethnic mosaic, but these children are fully-fledged Faroese and considered as such from the day they arrive here. They are not immigrants or foreigners," says Anna Maria's father Heoein Poulsen.

A dozen adoptions a year may not sound like much. In relative terms however, it amounts to four times more than in France or Denmark, according to official statistics from those countries.

Moreover, the Faroese have a long tradition of adoption. In the last century, mothers who had many children or who lost their husbands at sea often gave one or several of their children away to childless women.

Yet surprisingly, the archipelago has a strong birth rate, with women giving birth to an average of 2.6 children.

"Everybody wants to have children," says Poulsen, who heads a support group for parents hoping to adopt.

He is fighting to get Faroese authorities to raise state allowances to adoptive parents from the current 50,000 kroner (6,600 euros, 9,500 US dollars) per adoption.

Adopting a child can cost parents up to 150,000 kroner (20,000 euros, 28,600 US dollars).

"But there's no price tag for a child for us, we can't imagine life without children," says Heoein's wife Birita Ludviksdoettir, 41, who was unable to have her own children.

The couple waited two years for their adoption to go through.

"The day we came home with Anna Maria and Ludvik was the happiest day of my life. We were met at the airport by our friends and family carrying flags and bouquets of flowers, as if we were heroes," Ludviksdoettir recalls.

"We were finally a family, and here, maybe more than in any other country, children are paramount," she says.

For Poulsen, who drops his children off at a municipal daycare outside the town every morning, the Faroe Islands are "a paradise for children, who live close to nature and their extended families and friends and in a peaceful environment with no crime."

And the two children appear to have integrated well into their new surroundings.

"At the beginning, some of their friends were a little curious about their brown skin, but after that they were quickly 'adopted'," says Kristina Soemark who works at the daycare centre.

Like the two lawyers, 60-year-old Knut Gray also believes adopting his children was the "best gift ever."

One of the first islanders to adopt children from India in the 1980s, Gray says he and his wife Solrun "absolutely wanted to have kids."

Life without daughters Guunva, 23, and Anna, 21, "would have been empty."

And, he says, his daughters never experienced any racism.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:32:10 AM

Neurons: 167,124
Personally, I agree.

Any child you bring up is "your child" - whether they happen to have some bits of genes similar to yours is beside the point.

However, some people have this whole "continue the bloodline" obsession thing. I guess that's why 'anonymous donor fathers' never really caught on.

But, as you say, surely with so many orphans around the world, adoption is the way to go.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!