The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

word hub game dictionary omissions & questions Options
Catlady
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 12:34:35 AM

Neurons: 105,999
I enjoy playing your word hub game (a variation of anagrams). However, many legitimate words are not accepted. They are more than the required 3 letters.

They are not proper nouns, although many proper nouns are apparently also improper nouns because they get accepted by your game.

My current one is the word sense.. As in one's 5 senses, common sense, etc. The correct letters are all there.

Some are general medical or scientific terms also.

Or general foreign words. Some are acceptable, and others not, even though well known. Your dictionary for the game is not always the same as the dictionary for your website.

It also seems to have some preference for Asian words, but not European words? Words acceptable to other word games are not always acceptable to this word game?

I guess I need to start a list to keep here at my computer.

It is just my general observations. I still like to play the game.
NKM
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:12:44 PM

Neurons: 235,865
I too have been frustrated by the fact that Word Hub refuses to accept the word "sense". Obviously there's no good reason for that.  (It doesn't make sense!)

I've also noticed that "slut" and "whore" are not accepted by Word Hub. Those are generally inappropriate for use in polite conversation, but that shouldn't preclude their use in a word game. (They are English words, after all.)

Probably our complaints should be posted to the Site Features section instead of here under Vocabulary, but it's pretty hard to get anybody's attention there.

Sanmayce
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 5:08:11 AM

Neurons: 5,927
Agreed with Catlady and NKM.

Wordhub needs an update. To me, such games have supposedly to be a framework/frontend for vocabulary building - improvers of one's wordage.

When the underlying wordlists do not match the real language, this is a fiasco. Played several times myself and 'slut' was denied.
On a funny note, yesterday played against some folks and was destroyed each time, the most brutal defeat something like 27 vs 113 score. Cannot leave the matter, will cheat, heh-heh, tonight will write a small tool in C dumping all combinations of 8 letters of order 4, and maybe a lookuper checking against some 400,000 words, of course all orders 3/4/5/6/7/8 covered. Hopefully, the game maintenance staff won't ban me.

Just a hint, tagging all English words with a DWORD i.e. 32bit variable (4bytes) will be instrumental in quick finding all the orders in one pass, for example:

The first 26 bits in the DWORD house all the letters. If a word contains S,L,U,T,S letters the tag will be:
Code:

[a][b][c][d][e][f][g][h][i][j][k] [l] [m] [n] [o] [p] [q] [r] [s] [t] [u] [v] [w] [x] [y] [z]
[0][1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24][25]
                                   1                           1   1   1
LSB                          MSB

In Low-Endian computers the lower address is least significant.
Converting manually from Least-Significant-Bit to Most-Significant-Bit by reversing above sequence...

0x00 00000000
0x20 00100000
0x70 01110000
0x00 00000000

The eight digits are coded in range 00..FF, the nibbles (4bit) are coded in 0..F range.
The tag is 0x00702000 (0x denotes hexadecimal values).

So, each word in a wordlist will be prefixed with a hexadecimal (8 characters, each byte represented by a pair) tag, so words 'slut' and 'sluts' will be tagged as:

00702000slut
00702000sluts

In the end, searching for '00702000' will yield extra ... scores/hits:
00702000lust
00702000lusts

Funny, how Wordhub when combined with the power of Urban Dictionary street slang helped me to learn two new words:

00302000lut
00702000luts

Lut
A pre-slut because is missing the S in SLUT, which stands for sex.

A flirtatious girl who has not lost her virginity, but acts like a slut
Don't be fooled by that lut, that bitch is innocent.

luts
Pronounced lootz, is used in place of a swear word.
What the luts is your problem?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lut

Another fix is needed, in the above, the current tag 'code' defeats its purpose to show content in nonproportional font.

A monospaced font, also called a fixed-pitch, fixed-width, or non-proportional font, is a font whose letters and characters each occupy the same amount of horizontal space. [...] Examples of monospaced fonts include Courier, Courier New, Lucida Console, Monaco, and Consolas.

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.