The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

hospitality ministry Options
vkhu
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:32:03 AM

Neurons: 6,343
Quote:
He asked me if it was okay for him to ask someone at our church about the hospitality ministry and Eamon’s mom about the one at her church too because new moms needed meals delivered.

This is an excerpt from a novel called Whiskey & Ribbons by Leesa Cross-Smith. Basically the lady made too much food, and her not-boyfriend is asking if it's ok to contact the church they works at about something called "hospitality ministry" to deal with them all.

What is this "hospitality ministry" thing? When I look it up on Google, it seems this refer to showing newcomers the love of God or something like that. But how does that fit in with this context?
mactoria
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:58:27 AM

Neurons: 1,310,940
Vkhu: Some churches, as part of their attempt to follow their religious dogma beliefs, provide services and supports to groups in need. In the quote from the book, it looks like "hospitality ministry" is a term used for meals that church members make and deliver to people who need food (e.g. don't have the money, are bed-ridden, can't get out to grocery-shop due to caring for kids/seniors, etc.). Church members help others in need, and in so doing fulfill their religious dogma, and may also attract those they help to their church (or not; it could be done for purely altruistic reasons).

"Hospitality ministry" isn't a phrase that is common in my region of the US, but this seems to be what the sentence you quoted from describes.
vkhu
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 5:06:35 AM

Neurons: 6,343
That's interesting. So basically it would be a charity department of some kind within the church, right?

And since the novel take place in Louisville, Kentucky, this term is probably more commonly used on the Western part of the US.
thar
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 6:24:52 AM

Neurons: 72,982
Not western!

South, just on the northern and western edge of it!

Kentucky is mostly Appalachia - eastern mountains region, but Louisville is just far enough away to be at the very edge of the Mid-West.
But culturally, if this was a black (African-American) church, the culture would probably be more Southern.

The American 'South':
4 is Louisville.

I know, I am not even American, let alone Southern - I am sure this is open to debate! Whistle
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 11:30:55 AM

Neurons: 51,343
thar and mactoria have it right. A "hospitality ministry" is an effort by Protestant churches in particular, to reach out to people in an effort to serve them in whatever way they need, especially new people to the area.

It used to be very common in the South, and Appalachia, where I grew up. I'm not sure how prevalent it is today, but imagine it still exists in some form. The idea was to serve according to the instructions of Jesus to minister to the poor, the widows and orphans, or to anyone who needed it. There was also the added benefit of possibly adding some to the church membership in this way.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit