The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Signs You're Getting Old" Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 10:16:04 PM

Neurons: 494,604
I memorized this poem when I was 6 yrs old... I've never forgotten it...even now over 60 yrs later...please enjoy TFDers!

"Signs You're Getting Old"

When you shut your ears to laughter
And to kids at work or play
You are fast becoming aged
Yes, you're really on the way

When little things upset you
Causing you to rant and rave
It's time to sit and ponder
Or take leave for your dark cave.

Years alone won't make you aged
Some get old while they're still young
It's a pessimistic outlook
That makes you remain unsung

So don't shut your ears to laughter
Laugh at life be brave and bold
And you will never show the signs that say
"You're getting old".

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:03:26 AM

Neurons: 48,403
Very true hedy. It's a rather sad fact that some of us don't mellow much with age and experience, but instead grow bitter and resentful.

Young people need wisdom and guidance as they grow into their lives, not bitterness and hatefulness, but unfortunately this is all too prevalent in today's world.

I tend to think that the old who are bitter and resentful must have taken life's insults too personally, and could never let them go, or find a way to get over them. And while it may be true that some things leave a deep and lasting impression, I think there should, at the very least, be some effort made in that direction. With a lot of older folks, it seems they made the effort to go even farther in the opposite direction.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
coag
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 4:19:04 PM

Neurons: 5,505
On day, two old Jews are sitting on a traffic island in Broadway, like they do on sunny days, and one of them (I'll call him a friend) says to the other one (whom
I'll call Josef):
I haven't seen in a long time. What's up with you?
Josef: I'm not so good.
Friend: What's wrong?
Josef: Well, you know, I got married again. It's been a while since my wife died and I thought it was time to get married again, but it's not good.
Friend: What's wrong? Tell me about it. What's she like?
Josef: Well, she's 20 years old, she's gorgeous, she's got great breasts, and all she likes to do is make love, all day long.
Friend: So, what's wrong with that!
Josef: I forgot where I live!
(You can listen to the joke on this web site)

I started to experience a problem like the guy from the joke. Fortunately, I would say that my problem is weaker. Unfortunately, no attractive woman is involved in my case. It happens to me at work. I walk into a room or department and I cannot remember why I went there. I have to pause, think a little bit and then I remember why I went there. It doesn't happen often but the problem is I started noticing that, I started asking myself is that age related.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:23:43 PM

coag, I am familiar with that particular ailment. I used to think it was attention deficit disorder, but now have convinced myself that it is just the opposite -- attention surfeit disorder. I have accumulated too much information over the years, and it gets in the way of recalling what I walked into a room to do, or get. I ain't got a witness, and you know I can't prove it, but that my story, and I'm sticking to it!

That's my story

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:46:47 PM

Neurons: 167,301
Pity you can't plug in an extra few gigabytes of memory . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:52:40 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Pity you can't plug in an extra few gigabytes of memory . . .

What I need is a FAT32 system...Pray

hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:20:44 PM

I think you guys Foundit, coag and Drag0nspeaker, should take a lesson from me, than you wouldn't have 'attention surfeit disorder' (too funny!), in need of extra gigabytes or even a 'Fat32 system'...

You guys have accumulated too much information over the years.

"My memory is a mighty fortress, from which no fact escapes once committed. Now, when you tell me something I deem not important or boring, I set them free immediately...saves overcrowding."

...and that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Whistle

This was fun, hedy
PS my quote came from a line in the "Mentalist". I like it so much I placed it on a ceramic mug! Dancing

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:32:58 AM

Neurons: 385,852
Les grandes personnes ne comprennent jamais rien toutes seules, et c'est fatigant, pour les enfants, de toujours et toujours leur donner des explications.

- Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.

Little Prince

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 10:56:56 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä, you have quoted my very favorite book!

When my grandson was born 14 yrs ago, I had bought 'The Little Prince' to bring to the hospital. So anxious to see my grandson, I left the book, with my dedication written inside, on the night table. Not much later, my son Joel, came back into the room. He inquired as to why the book, that he bought was out of the drawer...upon opening it, he was shocked to see my dedication...low and behold, he had purchased the same book, still in the drawer with his dedication.

I introduced 'The Little Prince', to my husband a half a century ago when we first met...to this day I've only shared it with a very few that can actually understand that it's not a kids book...(and not for many grown-ups either!)

...Obviously you are one of them...thank you! As the Little Prince said, "What is essential is invisible to the eye"

('The Little Prince', by Antoine de Saint Exupéry, was published in 1943)
hedy

whatson
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:29:49 PM

Neurons: 2,604
TMe
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 1:33:02 PM

Neurons: 4,525
And always hum your favorite songs; will add years to your happy and healthy life.

...hedy mmm, please comment.

I am a layman.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 1:57:28 PM

Neurons: 385,852
hedy mmm wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä, you have quoted my very favorite book!

Try Forum Search with match exact phrase using keyword Little Prince.
Dancing

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Squawk Box
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2018 4:01:47 PM

Neurons: 1,062
hedy mmm wrote:
I memorized this poem when I was 6 yrs old... I've never forgotten it...even now over 60 yrs later...please enjoy TFDers!

When little things upset you
Causing you to rant and rave
It's time to sit and ponder
Or take leave for your dark cave.

I do that, little things make me rant and rave. I am 62, and sometimes I have to tell to tell myself, "Cheer up, you old goat.":or, "Quit making a mountain out of a molehill!".
I force myself to leave my dark cave, and go into the sunlight. It works miracles most of the time.