mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

bounded to the steps Options
mcurrent
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 9:49:01 AM

Neurons: 7,110
Hi.
I have the text:

My heart pounded as we raced for the stairs. Water gushed through the canyon while we clawed our way to the metal railing. Griffin helped me up, and I used the rails to jump two steps at a time. Bryce bounded to the steps just as a surge of water whashed past us.

What does "bounded to the steps" mean? Which is correct:
1) bounded on the steps;
2) bounded near the steps.

Thanks in advance.
pjharvey
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 9:57:33 AM

Neurons: 56,672
Bounded towards the steps.
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:23:21 AM

Neurons: 362,660
mcurrent wrote:
Hi.
I have the text:

My heart pounded as we raced for the stairs. Water gushed through the canyon while we clawed our way to the metal railing. Griffin helped me up, and I used the rails to jump two steps at a time. Bryce bounded to the steps just as a surge of water whashed past us.

1) bounded on the steps;

Thanks in advance.

It seems to me that the query has been raised because the meaning of the verb "bounded" is not clear.In the given sentence "bounded" means "ran with leaping strides". The preposition "to" is used to express a motion in the direction of a particular location (in this case "steps"). In this sentence, Bryce ran with leaping strides in the direction of the steps. The prepositions "on" and "near" are not used to convey this sense.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:21:25 AM

Neurons: 173,985
Yes - he probably bounded to the steps, then bounded up the steps. The speaker definitely bounded up the steps - "I used the rails to jump two steps at a time."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:48:56 AM

Neurons: 71,496
But presumably the first person narrator could only see him as he ran to the steps.
Since the narrator was himself climbing the steps, presumably once the other person reached them he was behind him out out of sight.
He can only report what he sees!
Squawk Box
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:38:39 PM

Neurons: 1,080
mcurrent wrote:
Hi.
I have the text:

My heart pounded as we raced for the stairs. Water gushed through the canyon while we clawed our way to the metal railing. Griffin helped me up, and I used the rails to jump two steps at a time. Bryce bounded to the steps just as a surge of water washed past us.

1) bounded on the steps;

Thanks in advance.

To bound is, "to move forward by leaps and springs"; so he is running with all of his might, to escape the water. They bounded to the steps, and it is is likely, that they bounded UP the steps too.Angel

Bound TFD