The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

churn Options
teachersalah
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 8:52:23 PM

Neurons: 4,109
I have just read this in columbus dispatch for an article about the disabilities center.

Adults and children with disabilities become frustrated, confused or upset at the churn of names and faces and routines.
can someome explain to me what does the word chur n means here?
mactoria
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 9:55:24 PM

Neurons: 1,310,940
teachersalah: Check the TFD's dictionary function, it shows the second definition of 'churn' under the noun usage is "turbulence or agitation." In the context of the sentence you quoted then, 'churn' means something like the chaotic agitation or swirl of lots of people (faces and names) that seem to rush in at some people with disabilities. People with certain disabilities may process information like faces or names more slowly than people without disabilities, so a roomful of people or passing a lot of people on the street would feel like a "churn' or swirl of too much information for them.
Gabriel82
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:16:15 AM

Neurons: 251,584
teachersalah wrote:
I have just read this in columbus dispatch for an article about the disabilities center.

Adults and children with disabilities become frustrated, confused or upset at the churn of names and faces and routines.
can someome explain to me what does the word chur n means here?

Here is the definition.

The original poster is spot on, but also the repeated nature of this action needs emphasizing, as one churns milk into cream and then butter, which implies an ever heavier product--which then implies far more effort to do the same task.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:52:39 AM

Neurons: 6,942
Water at the bottom of a waterfall can be said to churn but it does not get thicker.

Although in some specific cases churning does increase the thickness of something does not always do so there is no automatic assumption of an increase of effort.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.