The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A Strange Loop Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,946
A Strange Loop

Proposed by cognitive scholar Douglas Hofstadter, the concept of a "strange loop" involves a paradox that arises when, by moving up or down through a hierarchical system, one finds oneself back at the initial starting point. Examples of such feedback loops in various media include the well known M. C. Escher lithograph Drawing Hands and the novelty song "I'm My Own Grandpa." Another conceptual example is the liar paradox, which is what? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:58:36 AM

Neurons: 2,421,034
Article of the Day
A Strange Loop
Proposed by cognitive scholar Douglas Hofstadter, the concept of a "strange loop" involves a paradox that arises when, by moving up or down through a hierarchical system, one finds oneself back at the initial starting point. Examples of such feedback loops in various media include the well known M. C. Escher lithograph Drawing Hands and the novelty song "I'm My Own Grandpa."
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:26:14 AM

Neurons: 2,045,509
I've loved M.C. Escher since I saw his works on "The Curiosity Show" (Aussie TV science show for kids in the 70s.)

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:32:35 AM

Neurons: 1,091,797
Reminiscent of Moebius loop, of course.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:29:47 PM

Neurons: 4,224,326

The Epimedides Paradox or The Liar Paradox

The idea of self-reference is common enough. It even has biblical roots. Paul in Titus 1:12 says,
Even one of their own prophets has said, "Cretans are always liars..."
Given ancient sources we know the person Paul is referring to: The Cretan philosopher Epimenides. Consequently, the self-referential paradox surrounding Epimedides' statement is called The Epimedides Paradox or The Liar Paradox.

The paradox is easy to see. If Epimenides is a Cretan and he utters the statement p--"Cretans are always liars"--then what is that truth-status of p?
If p is true then Cretans are not always liars which means p is false: A contradiction.
The contradiction is due to self-reference. The simplest way to see this is in the old-standby:
This sentence is false.
You see the paradox. If the sentence is false then it's true. If it's true then it is false.

Again, the paradox is due to self-reference, the sentence points to itself. The point about Gödel's theorem was that Gödel was able to embed self-reference into the system of Principia Mathematica, making the logical system presented in that book speak about its own truth/proof status.

http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.com/2014/08/search-term-friday-strange-loops-and.html