The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

marketing Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:47:10 AM

Neurons: 17,720
Where I live, marketing means to go to the market to buy vegetables and other food items.

Hence, "My mother has gone marketing" means she has gone to the market to buy things to be cooked.

I wonder whether any native speakers use the word in the same way.

Thanks.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:17:41 AM

Neurons: 72,982
I think American English still says this - an American will have to confirm that.

It used to be British English,
Quote:
(up to the 1920s, archaic) Shopping, going to market.

1859, Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
Although Miss Pross, through her long association with a French family, might have known as much of their language as of her own, if she had had a mind, she had no mind in that direction […] So her manner of marketing was to plump a noun-substantive at the head of a shopkeeper without any introduction in the nature of an article […]

1926, George Herriman, comic strip Us Husbands, June 12th, 1926 (reprinted in the back of Krazy & Ignatz, vol. 1922–1924, Fantagraphics, 2012, →ISBN, p. 223):
[Wife to husband:] I'm going out to do my marketing – keep out of the kitchen, while I'm gone.

But modern British English uses 'shopping' - although I don't know if it survives in some dialects.

If that shopping is down the market (in a street market) it is still shopping.

How or why that happened, I don't know. 'Shop' is a very old word - older in English than 'market', which is itself very old. Why it took over so recently, I don't know.

But in standard Southern English, you do your shopping, you buy from a shop or from a market, and you store things in a store! Whistle

Marketing is what a company does to promote its brand.
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:18:06 AM

Neurons: 27,455
Koh Elaine wrote:
Where I live, marketing means to go to the market to buy vegetables and other food items.

Hence, "My mother has gone marketing" means she has gone to the market to buy things to be cooked.

I wonder whether any native speakers use the word in the same way.

Thanks.

In North America, the term "marketing" has come to mean "presenting something in a market". It comprises developing an advertising campaign, particularly with regard to identifying the buyers who would be most likely to spend their money on a product and how to curry their custom.

In the example you give, however, the meaning you intend would be clearly understood.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
ChrisKC
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 10:23:13 AM

Neurons: 201,030
If I had been the first to respond to the question I would have been quite clear the word "marketing" was incorrect for the context and in its grammar.

I have never heard the term "going marketing" but now I have learned something - trust the American language to let me down again!!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:20:30 PM

Neurons: 179,177
ChrisKC wrote:
If I had been the first to respond to the question I would have been quite clear the word "marketing" was incorrect for the context and in its grammar.
I have never heard the term "going marketing" but now I have learned something - trust the American language to let me down again!!

So would I.
I have only ever known "marketing" to be the whole subject of selling (including promotion, surveys, packaging, special offers, display materials, positioning, everything to get a product sold).

No-one I know has ever said "I'm going marketing" to mean "I'm going shopping".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:26:55 PM

Neurons: 51,343
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
ChrisKC wrote:

So would I.
I have only ever known "marketing" to be the whole subject of selling (including promotion, surveys, packaging, special offers, display materials, positioning, everything to get a product sold).

No-one I know has ever said "I'm going marketing" to mean "I'm going shopping".

I agree. I've never heard it used this way.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit