The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

need your help to translate Options
mcurrent
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:12:11 AM

Neurons: 4,761
Hi. I have the text:

Bryce ans Sam cleaned the fish, which may be the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Mom kept her distance too and asked Sam to triple bag the catch so the whole boat wouldn't smell like a fish market. Bryce was excited about fish for dinner, but I swore I was going to find a Subway.

I have two questions:
1) What does "to triple bag the catch" mean? I can understand each word from it separately but I can't understand grammar.
2) What does "to find Subway" mean? (I guess it's idiom but I can't find it in TFD and internet).

Thanks.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:28:21 AM

Neurons: 42,980
In supermarkets, one sometimes wants heavy items put in two bags so the bag won't break on the way home. In the USA this is called "double bagging" By extension "triple bagging" would refer to putting the fish one has caught (the "catch") into 3 bags to stop the smell escaping.

"Subway" is the name of a chain of fast-food outlets which sells bread rolls into which you point out what you want to have filling it.

He certainly doesn't want smelly fish - he'd rather stop off there for dinner.
ashscot50
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:33:32 AM

Neurons: 77,088
"to triple bag the catch" means to put the fish (in this case) inside three (probably plastic) bags, one inside the other, so as to try to reduce the smell from the fish.

"Subway" in this case is Subway an American privately held fast food restaurant franchise that primarily sells submarine sandwiches that are called subways or subs.

Hope this helps.
mcurrent
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:34:09 AM

Thank you very much, Romany, for clear explanation.
mcurrent
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:36:18 AM

Thank you too, ashscot50.
ashscot50
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:38:32 AM

Neurons: 77,088
Submarine

The use of the term "submarine" or "sub" (after the resemblance of the roll to the shape of a submarine) is widespread.[1] While some accounts source the name as originating in New London, Connecticut (site of the United States Navy's primary submarine base) during World War II, written advertisements from 1940 in Wilmington, Delaware indicate the term originated prior to the United States' entry into World War II.[9]

One theory says the submarine was brought to the U.S. by Dominic Conti (1874–1954), an Italian immigrant who came to New York in the early 1900s.[5] He is said to have named it after seeing the recovered 1901 submarine called Fenian Ram in the Paterson Museum of New Jersey in 1928. His granddaughter has stated the following: "My grandfather came to this country circa 1895 from Montella, Italy. Around 1910, he started his grocery store, called Dominic Conti's Grocery Store, on Mill Street in Paterson, New Jersey where he was selling the traditional Italian sandwiches. His sandwiches were made from a recipe he brought with him from Italy, which consisted of a long crust roll, filled with cold cuts, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, oil, vinegar, Italian herbs and spices, salt, and pepper. The sandwich started with a layer of cheese and ended with a layer of cheese (this was so the bread wouldn't get soggy)."[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich
Romany
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:53:22 AM

Ashscot,

Thank you for passing that on. I knew the franchise name was a pun on submarines, but had no idea what connection an underwater boat had to,say, a ham and salad bread roll!

Good to finally know!
Parpar1836
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:56:34 PM

Neurons: 8,969
Bryce and Sam cleaned the fish, which may be the most disgusting food-prep sight I've ever seen. Mom also kept her distance, and asked Sam to triple-bag the catch so the whole boat wouldn't smell like a fish market. Bryce was excited about having fish for dinner, but I swore I was going to find a Subway.
Romany
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 2:27:26 PM

Just one more comment: = it's all in past tense except for "...which may be the most..". I should bring it back from the present to "...which may have been..."