The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do these sentences have the same meaning? Grammatically correct? Options
robjen
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:02:35 AM

Neurons: 2,750
I have written two sentences below.

(1) Mr. Smith usually assigns more homework exercises than his pupils have time for.

(2) Mr. Smith usually assigns more homework exercises than his pupils have time to complete them.

(3) Mr. Smith usually assigns so many homework exercises that his pupils won't have time to complete them.

(3) Mr. Smith usually assigns lots of homework exercises that his pupil won't have time to complete them.

(A) Do my sentences have the same meaning?

(B) Are they grammatically correct?

Thank you for your help.
ChrisKC
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:53:57 AM

Neurons: 70,825
Number 1 is grammatically correct

Number 2 I think should have "in" as the final word in the sentence

Number 3 Has the same basic meaning as 1 and 2

Number 4 "Lots of" doesn't necessarily imply the pupils couldn't manage the assignments in time. In 1, 2 and 3 "more", more" and "so many" strongly imply the pupils have little chance to complete them in time. Number 4, I think, should read:

Mr Smith usually assigns "lots of" homework exercises for his pupils. (We are not sure if "lots of" means in reality 'too much'
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:58:35 AM

Neurons: 164,997
Hello robjen.
Your sentences all seem to mean the same thing.

Number one (1) is correct, possibly a little informal but definitely correct.

Number two would be correct without the final word "them".
Mr. Smith usually assigns more homework exercises than his pupils have time to complete.

The first number three is almost correct but "won't" should be "don't". "He assigns" is in the 'present tense' (general habitual past, present and future actions) and the result "they don't have time" also applies to past, present and future. "Won't" only applies to the future, so does not work.
Mr. Smith usually assigns so many homework exercises that his pupils don't have time to complete them.

The second number three would be correct without the final word "them", and with "won't" changed to "don't" (both errors from #2 and #3).
Mr. Smith usually assigns lots of homework exercises that his pupils don't have time to complete.
I agree with ChrisCK that 'lots of' doesn't sound like the best description. "More than . . .", "so much/many" fit better with "don't have time".
It's not incorrect, but the second part of the sentence doesn't quite logically follow from the first.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!