The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,280
Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:56:35 AM

Neurons: 2,757,275
Quotation of the Day

Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:33:50 AM

Neurons: 2,292,400
As a woman, I'm pretty keen on rings & other jewels. Dancing

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:39:31 AM

Neurons: 197,118
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. But only for the loved ones, isn't it, my dear? Come high or low water...
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:09:10 PM

Neurons: 4,778,924

Context from:Essays: The poet. Experience. Character. Manners. Gifts. Nature. Politics .

Gifts

Gifts of one who loved me, —
'T was high time they came;
When he ceased to love me,
Time they stopped for shame.

Essay V Gifts[/b]

For common gifts, necessity makes pertinences and beauty every day, and one is glad when an imperative leaves him no option, since if the man at the door have no shoes, you have not to consider whether you could procure him a paint-box. And as it is always pleasing to see a man eat bread, or drink water, in the house or out of doors, so it is always a great satisfaction to supply these first wants. Necessity does everything well. In our condition of universal dependence, it seems heroic to let the petitioner be the judge of his necessity, and to give all that is asked, though at great inconvenience. If it be a fantastic desire, it is better to leave to others the office of punishing him. I can think of many parts I should prefer playing to that of the Furies. Next to things of necessity, the rule for a gift, which one of my friends prescribed, is, that we might convey to some person that which properly belonged to his character, and was easily associated with him in thought. But our tokens of compliment and love are for the most part barbarous. Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself. Thou must bleed for me. Therefore the poet brings his poem; the shepherd, his lamb; the farmer, corn; the miner, a gem; the sailor, coral and shells; the painter, his picture; the girl, a handkerchief of her own sewing. This is right and pleasing, for it restores society in so far to its primary basis, when a man's biography is conveyed in his gift, and every man's wealth is an index of his merit. But it is a cold, lifeless business when you go to the shops to buy me something, which does not represent your life and talent, but a goldsmith's. This is fit for kings, and rich men who represent kings, and a false state of property, to make presents of gold and silver stuffs, as a kind of symbolical sin-offering, or payment of black-mail.

https://emersoncentral.com/texts/essays-second-series/gifts/

Emel Rapchan
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:33:55 PM

Neurons: 347,459

- I personally couldn't agree more!
- Things are for remember our true love for someone, but nothing substitutes our presence!
dave argo
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:43:26 PM

Neurons: 65,013
Daemon wrote:

...and a choice portion that must be!
Karen Brown
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:19:31 AM

Neurons: 15
Great quote.