The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

DNA vs Genes Options
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:31:09 PM

Neurons: 3,245
Is DNA and genes the same in Biology?

I have read a couple of books and these are not clear to.

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:40:36 PM

Neurons: 406,638
To put it simple:
your genes are part of your DNA.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:23:54 PM

Neurons: 71,547
It would be polite to say thankyou to the person or people who answered your previous questions, as you post another one. Otherwise people will start to think either you don't read the answers, or you don't thank people who make an effort to help you.

Just some friendly advice...Whistle
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:46:58 AM

Neurons: 3,245
thar wrote:
It would be polite to say thankyou to the person or people who answered your previous questions, as you post another one. Otherwise people will start to think either you don't read the answers, or you don't thank people who make an effort to help you.

Just some friendly advice...Whistle

Thank you very much Thar for your advice, henceforth, I would not hesitate to do that.

That's is good. God bless!

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
BellaMargareth
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 3:26:15 AM

Neurons: 3
Hope can halp.
DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) carries the genetic information in the body’s cells.
A gene is a distinct portion of a cell’s DNA. Genes are coded instructions for making everything the body needs, especially proteins.
So, gene is part of DNA.
saachi
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:35:15 AM

DNA- Deoxyribonucleic Acid..DNA is the chemical component of chromosomes,which are located in the nucleus of every cell.Stretches of DNA code for genes.
Gens-a segment of DNA that codes for a protein,which in turn codes for a trait(skin color,tone,eyes...etc),a gene is a stretch of DNA..
so genes are part of DNA..
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 10:29:02 AM

Neurons: 27,275
Ebenezer Son wrote:

DNA is the structure that supports genes. It is the stuff that genes are made of. Genes and alleles are expressed in different forms of DNA, but they are not identical.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Broxer
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:59:39 AM

Neurons: 5
Genes contain DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). DNA is the chemical basis of heredity. Think of it this way: DNA is in genes, genes are on chromosomes. When "mapping" all genes on all human chromosomes was first seriously conceived, it was called the Human Genome Project - a combination of gene and chromosome.

Broxer
TMe
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:21:58 AM

Neurons: 4,943
The following illustration explains all.

The black figure is that of a DNA. The pink line is elongated DNA with genes on it .

Source: Wikipedia.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:27:06 AM

Neurons: 174,255
I don't agree with that at all.

There is no such thing as "a DNA".
DNA is an uncountable noun - it is a chemical, like "water" or "salt" or "sugar".

Chromosomes are made up of genes. You can have "a gene".
Genes are made of DNA.

That image (I can't find the original in Wiki - can you post a link?) seems to show a chromosome - like this image.

Consider a bag of lollipops. The full bag with all the lollipops is like a chromosome.
One lollipop is like a gene.
"Sugar" is like "DNA".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:33:28 AM

Thanks DragO sir for correcting my grammar.
And here is the link you asked for;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:42:20 AM

Neurons: 174,255
Thank you!

What a strange image - when I see it (the original in Wiki) it has all the parts labelled, but when I copy it, all the words disappear!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:52:22 AM

I was wondering too.

I am a layman.
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:26:17 AM

Neurons: 27,275
Ebenezer Son wrote:

As others have elucidated, they are not identical.

DNA is a name for a class of isomeric chemicals. Subsequent research has discovered that this is an essential constituent of what is abstractly referred to as genes and alleles.

For a Very Long Time™ it has been observed that living things can pass traits to their progeny. The hypothetical units of such heritage have been labeled as "genes", etymologically related to "genesis", that is, origin.

In very broad strokes, the chemistry that makes this possible involves RNA and DNA.

Thus, genes and DNA are related, yet the different words represent different perspectives on the same reality.

Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:18:28 PM

Neurons: 74,116
The physical nature of the gene fascinated scientists for many years. A series of experiments beginning in the 1920s finally revealed that DNA was the genetic material.
Genes are made of a chemical called DNA, which is short for 'deoxyribonucleic acid'. The DNA molecule is a double helix: that is, two long, thin strands twisted around each other like a spiral staircase.

The DNA double helix showing base pairs.

The sides are sugar and phosphate molecules. The rungs are pairs of chemicals called 'nitrogenous bases', or 'bases' for short.

There are four types of base: adenine (A), thymine (T), guanine (G) and cytosine (C). These bases link in a very specific way: A always pairs with T, and C always pairs with G.

The DNA molecule has two important properties.
• It can make copies of itself. If you pull the two strands apart, each can be used to make the other one (and a new DNA molecule).
• It can carry information. The order of the bases along a strand is a code - a code for making proteins.
Genes
A gene is a length of DNA that codes for a specific protein. So, for example, one gene will code for the protein insulin, which is important role in helping your body to control the amount of sugar in your blood.

Genes are the basic unit of genetics. Human beings have 20,000 to 25,000 genes. These genes account for only about 3 per cent of our DNA. The function of the remaining 97 per cent is still not clear, although scientists think it may have something to do with controlling the genes.
Chromosomes
If you took the DNA from all the cells in your body and lined it up, end to end, it would form a strand 6000 million miles long (but very, very thin)! To store this important material, DNA molecules are tightly packed around proteins called histones to make structures called chromosomes.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj