The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Shouldn't it be had been instead of was? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:50:17 PM

Neurons: 14,219
Prof Chin opined that Malaysians know UMNO is a business patronage machine but Najib's 1MDB scandal was just "too much". He said, "If there was no 1MDB and no $US680 million deposited into Najib's personal account, he would probably still be in power today."

Shouldn't it be had been instead of was?

Thanks.
NKM
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:27:59 PM

Neurons: 227,828
I think so, even though I've never heard of "UMNO" or "1MDB".

Does "1MDB" refer to something which still exists? If so, then I might prefer "If there were no 1MDB and had been no $US680 million deposited …"

FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:29:22 PM

Neurons: 47,789
Koh Elaine wrote:
Prof Chin opined that Malaysians know UMNO is a business patronage machine but Najib's 1MDB scandal was just "too much". He said, "If there was no 1MDB and no $US680 million deposited into Najib's personal account, he would probably still be in power today."

Shouldn't it be had been instead of was?

Thanks.

I don't see much of a distinction here. If you say, "If there was no 1MDB and no $US680 million deposited...", the basic idea is that it never existed; it was never there.

Using "had been" seems to me to say the same thing. "If there had been no 1MDB and no $US680 million deposited...", then that fact, too, never existed.

Both forms appear to posit the same thing to me: a conditional statement of non-reality; the monies never existed. However, the fact is that the monies did exist.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:54:08 PM

Neurons: 14,219
NKM wrote:
I think so, even though I've never heard of "UMNO" or "1MDB".

Does "1MDB" refer to something which still exists? If so, then I might prefer "If there were no 1MDB and had been no $US680 million deposited …"

Thanks, NKM.

1MDB stands for:
1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), which was founded by Mr Najib, ex-prime minister of Malaysia.