The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

With being Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 12:58:18 PM

Neurons: 8,414
Roy is credited with being involved in the solving of a string of prominent cases, including the murders of journalist J Dey, fringe Bollywood actor Laila Khan and law graduate Pallavi Purkhayasta in Mumbai.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumbai/himanshu-roy-former-mumbai-top-cop-commits-suicide/article...

Please explain the use of "being" in the example.
I know how to use "being" in passive but in other situations I always find it difficult to understand its use
FounDit
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 3:19:53 PM

Neurons: 47,890
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Roy is credited with being involved in the solving of a string of prominent cases, including the murders of journalist J Dey, fringe Bollywood actor Laila Khan and law graduate Pallavi Purkhayasta in Mumbai.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumbai/himanshu-roy-former-mumbai-top-cop-commits-suicide/article...

Please explain the use of "being" in the example.
I know how to use "being" in passive but in other situations I always find it difficult to understand its use

I'll let others deal with grammar definitions, and concentrate on the sense of the word as it is used here.

You might think of it as, "Roy is receiving credit for his active involvement in the solving..."

This is essentially what is meant by "credited with being involved". "Being" here is an active state in which he participates, or is involved daily, and is receiving credit for that.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 4:03:22 PM

Neurons: 8,414
Thanks