The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Please check the grammar of my final version of CPD Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 12:46:29 AM

Neurons: 9,620
As a registered clinical pharmacy technician I have a duty of care and mandatory requirement to keep my knowledge and skills up to date by way of submitting CPD( continuing professional development) entries as per the required standards set by the GPhc( The general pharmaceutical council in the U.K)

I know they wouldn't check my grammar but I want to improve my writing skills in general.

What are you planning to learn?

I am planning to complete my drug history training for my new role as a ward-based (band-5) pharmacy technician. This learning is relevant because I will be joining the MMPS (Medicine Management and Pharmacy Services) team providing the medicines reconciliation service to the patients admitted to the hospital as soon as possible, ideally within 24 hours.
Taking a complete and accurate drug history forms the basis of medicines reconciliation which in turn ensures that the patient is prescribed the correct medicines, in the correct doses appropriate to their current clinical presentation and the avoidable harm from medicines is reduced.

How are you planning to learn it?

I plan to finish my in-house drug history training under the guidance of a mentor. As part of my training, I have to create and complete a portfolio covering a range of situations and then pass my final assessment before getting signed off. I am planing to shadow a few colleagues in different specialities to get the basic idea of obtaining a drug history using standard methods and practices . I will also do my NVQ(nationally recognised vocational qualification) unit after getting signed off. I have searched internet to get more information about taking a drug history but the information is either too general or not relevant to my training.

Give an example of how this learning has benefited the people using your services

After successfully completing my training and being signed off, I have been taking or obtaining drug histories confidently and competently. Obtaining an accurate and a complete drug history is essential for safe and effective care. I have been taking drug histories in different areas or specialities e.g. Infectious diseases, respiratory, acute, elderly, renal... in order to increase my clinical knowledge and confidence to do them competently and without any mistakes.
While working on Infectious diseases, I obtained a drug history from the patient with HIV, whose first language was not English, had no regular GP information. I managed to collect all information using different and reliable sources and with the help from my colleague who acted as an interpreter. The patien finally gave the consent to obtain information from the other hospitals where he was getting treatment for his ART(antiretroviral therapy). The patient really appreciated my approach towards the whole drug history process. The pharmacist was also very impressed with the approach and thorough documentation in order to minimise any risks with the medicine reconciliation.
palapaguy
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 1:11:43 AM

Neurons: 10,410
What is "CPD?"
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 1:18:09 AM

Continuing professional development. As a healthcare professional in the U.K, you are required to keep up with your CPD in order to renew your registration every year. I practice as a clinical pharmacy technician for the NHS.
Ursus Minor
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 1:28:53 AM

Neurons: 2,446
Jigneshbharati wrote:
As part of my training, I have to create and complete a portfolio covering range of situations and pass my final assessment before getting signed off.
a range of situations - The indefinite article is missing.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 1:58:31 AM

Thanks
FounDit
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 11:10:58 AM

Neurons: 49,559
I suggest the following changes/additions:

How are you planning to learn it?

I plan to finish my in-house drug history training under the guidance of a mentor. As part of my training, I have to create and complete a portfolio covering a range of situations and then pass my final assessment before getting signed off. I am planing to shadow a few colleagues in different specialities to get the basic idea of obtaining a drug history using standard methods and practices . I will also do my NVQ(nationally recognised vocational qualification) unit after getting signed off. I have searched the internet to get more information about taking a drug history but the information is either too general or not relevant to my training.

Give an example of how this learning has benefited the people using your services

After successfully completing my training and being signed off, I have been taking or obtaining drug histories confidently and competently. Obtaining an accurate and a (omit) complete drug history is essential for safe and effective care. I have been taking drug histories in different areas or specialities e.g. Infectious diseases, respiratory, acute, elderly, renal... in order to increase my clinical knowledge and confidence in order to do them competently and without any mistakes.
While working in Infectious diseases, I obtained a drug history from a patient with HIV, whose first language was not English, and who had no regular GP information. I managed to collect all of the necessary information using different and reliable sources and with the help of my colleague who acted as an interpreter. The patient finally gave his consent to obtain information from the other hospitals where he was getting treatment for his ART(antiretroviral therapy). The patient really appreciated my approach towards the whole drug history process. The pharmacist was also very impressed with my approach and thorough documentation in order to minimise any risks with the medicine reconciliation.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 12:07:46 PM

thanks