The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Two inaugurations Options
Helenej
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 3:02:17 PM

Neurons: 9,908
Do you like doing that “find 10 differences” thing? Here, between the two photos of the inauguration of Trump and that of Putin, I can see the key difference: Trump took office in public while Putin did it behind the 6-meter-thick Kremlin walls. It was not nice of him: those 77% of the vote who supported him might have wanted to share their joy with him.

mactoria
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:00:58 AM

Neurons: 1,253,332
Helenej: good comparisons. When I saw it on TV, must admit I was impressed with the beauty of the Kremlin hall, but then its relationship to a time of tsars and dictators did take a bit of the shine off of it for me. And evidently some/many of the Russian people who couldn't get in to see Putin's inauguration. Open-air inaugurations are part of the idea that we have an open government "of the people;" though I have my own thoughts these days about how open our gov't really is (but that's a different topic from yours). We do occasionally have inaugurations inside in the US: when a president dies in office and the vice has to be sworn in quickly; if the weather in January is too inclement it's unsafe for people to stand outdoors that long; and if January 20th winds up on a Sunday it's typical for the president to be sworn in inside the White House and then have the public inauguration the next working day.

As your pictures show, Russia has beautiful art and magnificent buildings/architecture, more so than the much younger US. We have a vision of openness and "of the people." Neither countries always live up to their history or their visions.
Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:04:26 AM

Difference 2. President Trump spoke with his own words during his 16-minute inauguration address. President Putin delivered his speech for 12 minutes with his eyes glued to the text.

President Trump
President Putin
Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:19:07 AM

mactoria wrote:
I was impressed with the beauty of the Kremlin hall.

Yes, it is very beautiful, being built to remind the medieval Kremlin buildings. The Bolsheviks were practical enough not to destroy everything related to the monarchy epoch.Angel

mactoria wrote:
Open-air inaugurations are part of the idea that we have an open government "of the people;" though I have my own thoughts these days about how open our gov't really is (but that's a different topic from yours). We do occasionally have inaugurations inside in the US: when a president dies in office and the vice has to be sworn in quickly; if the weather in January is too inclement it's unsafe for people to stand outdoors that long; and if January 20th winds up on a Sunday it's typical for the president to be sworn in inside the White House and then have the public inauguration the next working day.

Very interesting details. Thank you.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:59:06 AM

Neurons: 172,120
Hi Helenej.
You are right that those videos (and all the other news videos I have seen) make Pres. Trump look so much more professional.

He is a good public speaker (not mentioning what he says, just the 'manner of address of the audience'). He has "presence", which is training and drilling - nothing to do with his philosophy or politics.

However, there is something which is difficult to see - a technical detail which the Russian event-planners didn't look at, but which the American ones did - which makes a big difference to the appearances.

Putin apparently has a teleprompter which shows up only on the podium - so he has to keep looking down.

The teleprompter used by Trump has three screens, and two of them are transparent ones, on the line-of-sight between him and the audience.
He can be looking at one screen and appear to be directly facing the left-hand half of the audience, or facing another screen and be apparently facing the right-hand half.

This is the system:

You can see them in this shot.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
lazarius
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:59:24 AM

Neurons: 63,749
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
He can be looking at one screen and appear to be directly facing the left-hand half of the audience, or facing another screen and be apparently facing the right-hand half.

And it works! At least for a Ukrainian.

Another question... Why isn't this porcine gentleman staying "in public"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m85OoxgJgG0

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:06:20 AM

Neurons: 2,450
Helenej wrote:
mactoria wrote:
I was impressed with the beauty of the Kremlin hall.

Yes, it is very beautiful, being built to remind the medieval Kremlin buildings. The Bolsheviks were practical enough not to destroy everything related to the monarchy epoch.Angel

In fact, Bolsheviks did destroy this particular one. In 1932 it was merged with another hall and for the decades to come looked like this:

https://bookz.ru/authors/sergievskaa-irina/moskva-p_726/i_032.jpg
Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:33:47 AM

lazarius wrote:
Why isn't this porcine gentleman staying "in public"?

What do you demand from Ukraine? We a poor country, not pretending to be a magnificent power like your country, whose president insists that all the other countries should listen to Russia because it has got those” frightening” missiles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrhUfMU9b0

I would say that comparing people's appearance to that of animals is inherent either to ill-bred younger schoolchildren or to adults who have no other arguments in a dispute. How old are you, may I ask?

Also, I think you should spare that young man who almost fainted in the heat. It could happen to anyone after standing still for a while in such a weather. Maybe he even hadn't felt well that morning, how do you know? You'd better pay attention to your national flag that failed to go up during Putin's last inauguration. Any Ukrainian noticed could easily notice that.Angel

Russian flag wouldn't go up

What a sign could that be?Think