The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What we should do to eliminate gender discrimination? Options
Quang Phạm 1
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:21:52 PM

Neurons: 295
Could you please give me some advice on this topic? I am in a hurry for my exercise.
felixmenders
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:11:12 AM

Hi,
Do you mean some references from literature?

My brain would be dead without books.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:48:46 AM

Neurons: 167,301
Quang Phạm 1 wrote:
Could you please give me some advice on this topic? I am in a hurry for my exercise.

Hello Quang Pham, and welcome to the forum.

The reason you have not had any answers is that we are not intended to do anyone's homework (or "exercises") for them.

If you do not know, then your teacher needs to know that you don't.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:40:27 AM

Neurons: 385,852
I'd advise you to do some Google Search with the keywords gender discrimination.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:08:34 PM

Neurons: 48,403
Quang Phạm 1 wrote:

Since you posted this in the Literature section, I assume you mean how to eliminate discrimination in literature. If you did that, how would you introduce your characters to the reader? Would they not all simply be "persons", or perhaps "person A and person B"?

The very definition of "discriminate" means to recognize a distinction, or difference between things. If in literature, there are males and females of any age, how are they identified if not by the distinction of their sex? Why would any reasonable person wish to eliminate the ability to describe an individual by their gender? It makes no sense.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:46:51 PM

Neurons: 43,430

As the OP has never returned it seems that they really did want someone to do their homework for them?

However, Foundit: -
The OP didn't ask how one can eliminate gender from literature - as you so rightly point out that would be perfectly silly.

What they were asking about was how to eliminate gender 'discrimination'.

This is a really wide-ranging subject and takes into account all kinds of societal mores and cultural constructs; as well as historical underpinnings, the influence of religion and hierarchical structures and common usage. It's the kind of thing discussed in an end-of-term paper, or an undergraduate essay.

Certainly not the sort of thing that can be sorted out in a single response - or even a thread full of responses - its purpose, as someone said above, was to elicit what the student *thinks*. So, as what any of us think about it ourselves would be completely irrelevant, there doesn't seem much point in any of *us* discussing it here, surely?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:31:27 PM

Romany,

I think you are right, but it struck me as odd to post this in the Literature section. So I wondered if that was the idea behind the post.

We all have our opinions on the matter, but it strikes me as a strange thing to try to eliminate it in our speech when, at the same time, it is impossible to eliminate it in our writing. After all, we write as we speak. And eliminating it in our writing was the impossible task I was trying to point out.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:52:43 PM

Neurons: 5,715

What about "peoplekind"?

politics/whats-behind-the-justin-trudeau-peoplekind-controversy-a-national-post-

(This should go to Politics Forum.)

Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 5:52:27 PM

Neurons: 9,114
I know that there are several books on the market about eliminating gender bias in English. And I recall the connotation game:

He's assertive and forthright. She's a manipulative bitch.

As for literature, Kate Millett's Sexual Politics was a ground-breaker.

It's certainly an important topic, as gender bias is parallel with ethnic/racial bias, both of which can be found running like subterranean rivers (or open runnels) through literary history.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 10:20:50 PM

Parpar1836 wrote:
I know that there are several books on the market about eliminating gender bias in English. And I recall the connotation game:

He's assertive and forthright. She's a manipulative bitch.

As for literature, Kate Millett's Sexual Politics was a ground-breaker.

It's certainly an important topic, as gender bias is parallel with ethnic/racial bias, both of which can be found running like subterranean rivers (or open runnels) through literary history.

And just as there will never be the elimination of genders, there will also never be the elimination of bias. Our only obligation and pathway forward is to teach our young to treat all people with consideration and respect, knowing that there will always be some number of people among us who will not do so. Utopia cannot, and will not, ever exist.

Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2018 8:41:50 AM

Neurons: 63,299
Cloning?

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 11:17:31 AM

Neurons: 167,301
I don't think that would work, Epiphileon.

Even clones are sheep at heart.

It's contagious - youngsters imitate their parents, role-models and peers, so even a pair of cloned 'twins' could have totally different attitudes and biases by the time they were eighteen.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!