The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

You will hear people say that poverty is the best spur to the artist. They have never felt the iron of it in their flesh.... Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,597
You will hear people say that poverty is the best spur to the artist. They have never felt the iron of it in their flesh. They do not know how mean it makes you. It exposes you to endless humiliation, it cuts your wings, it eats into your soul like a cancer.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 3:52:14 AM

Neurons: 2,643,469
Quotation of the Day

You will hear people say that poverty is the best spur to the artist. They have never felt the iron of it in their flesh. They do not know how mean it makes you. It exposes you to endless humiliation, it cuts your wings, it eats into your soul like a cancer.

KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 3:52:14 AM

Neurons: 2,643,469
Quotation of the Day

monamagda
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 9:20:15 AM

Neurons: 4,647,040

Context from:Of Human Bondage

CHAPTER LI

"That's all," he said presently, with a nervous laugh.

Monsieur Foinet rolled himself a cigarette and lit it.

"You have very little private means?" he asked at last.

"Very little," answered Philip, with a sudden feeling of cold at his heart. "Not enough to live on."

"There is nothing so degrading as the constant anxiety about one's means of livelihood. I have nothing but contempt for the people who despise money. They are hypocrites or fools. Money is like a sixth sense without which you cannot make a complete use of the other five. Without an adequate income half the possibilities of life are shut off. The only thing to be careful about is that you do not pay more than a shilling for the shilling you earn. You will hear people say that poverty is the best spur to the artist. They have never felt the iron of it in their flesh. They do not know how mean it makes you. It exposes you to endless humiliation, it cuts your wings, it eats into your soul like a cancer. It is not wealth one asks for, but just enough to preserve one's dignity, to work unhampered, to be generous, frank, and independent. I pity with all my heart the artist, whether he writes or paints, who is entirely dependent for subsistence upon his art."

Philip quietly put away the various things which he had shown.

"I'm afraid that sounds as if you didn't think I had much chance."

Monsieur Foinet slightly shrugged his shoulders.

"You have a certain manual dexterity. With hard work and perseverance there is no reason why you should not become a careful, not incompetent painter. You would find hundreds who painted worse than you, hundreds who painted as well.I see no talent in anything you have shown me. I see industry and intelligence. You will never be anything but mediocre."

Philip obliged himself to answer quite steadily.

read more :http://www.literaturepage.com/read.php?titleid=ofhumanbondage&abspage=314&bookmark=1

Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 9:55:19 AM

Neurons: 190,686
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Poverty is a little bit too much, but necessity is just right what the doctor ordered. Necessity is the mother of all inventions - art included.
zina antoaneta
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 9:55:56 AM

Neurons: 157,352
Indeed. While many wish you to be the virtuous poor.
See Doolittle father in "My Fair Lady".🎉