The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Texas Trivia At Its Best! Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 10:11:50 PM

Neurons: 545,994
To all my TFD Texan friends, especially FounDit...I couldn't not thread this! (Double negative=A positive)

I have family and my best friend/cousin in Austin, Texas which I frequent...so I can truly say, "I Left My Heart In Austin, Texas"...(never in San Francisco...Yikes!)
Enjoy, Hedy

Texas Trivia

Here are a few little-known facts about Texas.

Distance and Space:
• From Beaumont to El Paso, the distance is 742 miles.
• From Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles.
• El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.
• The King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island.

Weather:
• The worst natural disaster in U.S. history occurred in 1900, caused by a hurricane in which more than 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
• Tropical storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43 inches in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.

Firsts:
• The world’s first rodeo occurred in Pecos, Texas, on July 4, 1883.
• The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome, in Houston.
• The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was Houston.

History:
• Texas was the only state to enter the United States by treaty (known as the Constitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union) instead of by annexation. This treaty allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the U.S. flag, and further allows Texas to divide into five states.
• Texas has had six capital cities: Washington-on-the-Brazos, Harrisburg, Galveston, Velasco, West Columbia and Austin.
• Dr Pepper was invented in Waco, Texas, in 1885. There is no period in Dr Pepper. Dublin, Texas, has the oldest and only Dr Pepper bottling company that is still working and producing the original Dr Pepper.

Miscellaneous Facts:
• The name “Texas” comes from the Hasini Indian word tejas, meaning “friends.” Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.
• The Texas state mascot is the armadillo. Armadillos are hard-shelled night creatures that live on worms. If they choose your manicured yard for an evening of dining, you can kiss your grass good-bye. Armadillos always have four babies. They have one egg that splits into four. They have either four males or four females. Obviously, they are prolific.
• The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the United States taller than the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. (by 7 feet).
• The Heisman Trophy is named after John William Heisman, the first full-time coach at Rice University in Houston.
• Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.
• Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, on the Gulf Coast, is the winter home of North America’s only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
• A live oak tree near Fulton, Texas, is estimated to be 1,500 years old.
• Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in Texas.

How to Tell if You Live in Texas
• Recognizing that a few people don’t know where they are half the time, the book offers these tips to tell you where you are:
• If someone in Home Depot offers you assistance but he doesn’t work there, you might live in Texas.
• If you’ve ever worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might live in Texas.
• If you’ve had a lengthy telephone conversation about family with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Texas.
• If the word vacation means going anywhere south of Dallas for a weekend, you might live in Texas.
• If you measure distance in hours rather than inches, feet, yards or miles, you might live in Texas.
• If you know several people who have run over a deer more than once, you might live in Texas.
• If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both unlocked, you might live in Texas.
• If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph, you’re going 80 and everybody’s passing you, you might live in Texas.
• If you find sixty degrees a little chilly, you might live in Texas.

SOURCE - "Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes" by Dixie Cash

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
coag
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 3:40:16 AM

Neurons: 5,898
A couple of years ago, I watched on TV, there was snow somewhere in Texas. I was surprised, I had thought it never snowed in Texas. (I've never been to Texas)
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:06:09 PM

Neurons: 51,815
hedy,

Fun facts. I've read them before, but they always make me smile. And that flood in 1979 -- I happened to have been there for that one. I had some friends who lived in Alvin, which could have changed its name to 'Lake Alvin' for a while after that time.

My current wife was also living there and said her home was one of the very few that didn't flood.

BTW, 60 degrees isn't chilly. It's downright COLD! Heck, 70 degrees is chilly if there's a wind blowing. Flannel shirt time. The winter visitors laugh at us, but we tell'em to come back in August and we'll see who laughs then.

coag,
It does snow in Texas quite often, but rarely South of San Antonio, and almost never South of Corpus Christie. It snowed at my place a couple of years ago and that was one of those "once-in-a-hundred-year" experiences. I took pictures of my house to prove it happened. And the snow stayed on the ground for almost a whole day!

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit