The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Canada's Grief Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:08:11 PM

Neurons: 44,241

I just wanted to share this editorial cartoon that I love. The cartoon by Bruce MacKinnon, an award-winning cartoonist with the Halifax (Nova Scotia) Chronicle Herald, shows a hockey player dressed in the Humboldt Broncos green and gold slumped over on his skates with the word “Sask” across his back. He is supported by 10 other players dressed in red with the provinces’ short forms on their jerseys.

A week ago Friday in Saskatchewan a bus carrying the Broncos junior hockey team collided with a semi-truck killing 16 people — including 10 players between the ages of 16 and 21 and their young female athletic therapist - and injured another 13 passengers, some severely.

Every one with a hockey shirt in Canada - and that's pretty much everybody - wore their jersey to work a couple of days ago. Those who didn't have one, bought one. GoFundMe for the team was over 7 and a half million dollars, last I heard. The outpouring of grief and love throughout the whole country brought tears to the eyes of many,

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:44:29 PM

I just saw the news that a Richmond Hill, Ontario, resident has started a GoFundMe for the victims of a bus crash in India that killed school children.

Toronto Star: "Sending love and hope’: Canadians support GoFundMe for Indian bus crash that happened 3 days after Humboldt

Twenty-three children under the age of 12 died when their speeding school bus plunged off a mountainside in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh in the Himalayas, three days after the fatal bus crash in Saskatchewan.

Sakatchewan has contributed to that fund and India has contributed to the Saskatchewan one which is now over 13 million $ in ten days from global contributors.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:51:55 AM

Neurons: 4,220
Hope123, I join you for compassion and grief. Rare quality.

I am a layman.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:54:32 PM

Thanks for the India photo, TMe. So sad for all those families. There is no security on this earth and life can change in an instant no matter where or who you are.

Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:45:49 PM

Neurons: 2,949,966
On the other hand, Canada is much safer than Syria.
TMe
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:38:52 AM

Neurons: 4,220
May Alimighty keep all safe. Amen.

I am a layman.
whatson
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 3:54:42 PM

Neurons: 2,567
Safe from what? You can't mean "eternal life".

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 1:59:13 AM

Neurons: 70,683
Whatson is an expert in "peeling the hair".

Shame on you Pray Pray Pray

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
progpen
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 4:40:26 PM

Neurons: 253,613
Hope123 wrote:
Thanks for the India photo, TMe. So sad for all those families. There is no security on this earth and life can change in an instant no matter where or who you are.

It can seem overwhelming sometimes to read about these accidents and natural disasters. Having the world at our fingertips can be a bit much, but in these two situations I see it as a good thing as it brings people from around the world together in support of those suffering.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:34:26 PM

That's exactly why I posted the thread, Proggy, so that posters could see the good that came out of these two tragedies. In spite of all the nastiness in the world that is evident just by going online, it is reassuring to see there are many many people around the world who think of and have empathy for others and don't just think of themselves. This is just one of many examples of that.

Edited - had to look up the exact meaning but I love your signature!

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:31:01 AM

Neurons: 70,683
Proggy's signature means

'Do not let the bastards grind you down'. IMO

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
progpen
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 8:53:10 PM

Neurons: 253,613
Yep, Ashwin and Hope, from one of the best (and more disturbing) books I've read in a while. The Handmaid's Tale.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:45:26 PM

Is that where you got it? Proggy. I was not aware of that. I don't remember reading the book when it came out years ago - probably thought it was too weird at that time. Amazing how circumstances Whistle change one's viewpoint.

I see the TV version of Atwood's book is starting season two this Sunday. I have the series set to record automatically. I had a bit of a problem wrapping my head around the cruelty at first in the programme and speed watched some at the beginning. However, her determination to escape and get her child won me over. I can see where the quote is very apropos.