The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Barbara Bush 1925 -2018 Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:05:39 PM

Neurons: 44,241
I always admired Barbara Bush, wife of US President H.W. Bush for 73 years, and the work that she did while her husband was president, and since. Many people besides her family are tweeting and posting on Facebook the tributes she deserves. It is very nice to see comments from the Obamas saying how helpful the Bushes were while Obama was president, tributes from the Clintons, Preet Bahara, Dan Rather, and many others from both sides of the aisle.

"Bush's dedication to improving literacy rates became a hallmark of her time as first lady. In 1989, she founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, which runs literacy programs for low-income families."

A true matriarch and classy woman. R.I.P. First Lady.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/barbara-bush-has-died?utm_term=.uqBPrPK9g#.uyl1M1YxB

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:26:18 AM

Neurons: 485,029
Thank you Hope123,

Barbara Bush was a beautiful woman with a beautiful heart and a beautiful legacy.
It bares repeating: "A true matriarch and classy woman. R.I.P. First Lady"

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:47:05 AM

Neurons: 890,107
As Barbara Bush flew over the wreckage of New Orleans from hurricane Katrina she looked down upon the Superdome and said "Those people are so much better off in there." Inside the Superdome a young girl was being interviewed by a TV news crew. The young girl, commenting on the AstroTurf, said "See, when you step down the pee comes up." The people in the Superdome were living in an open sewer. Barbara Bush was clueless.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:35:11 AM

Neurons: 253,613
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
As Barbara Bush flew over the wreckage of New Orleans from hurricane Katrina she looked down upon the Superdome and said "Those people are so much better off in there." Inside the Superdome a young girl was being interviewed by a TV news crew. The young girl, commenting on the AstroTurf, said "See, when you step down the pee comes up." The people in the Superdome were living in an open sewer. Barbara Bush was clueless.

Mrs. Bush was not the only person who was clueless about the situation there. She was a powerful woman in the Bush family, and everyone (including myself) can find something to fault her about, but she did try to use her position and status to do good.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:25:06 AM

I have "foot-and-mouth" disease all the time. No one's life should be judged by one moment or one statement.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:14:10 PM

Neurons: 70,683
"foot-and-mouth" disease. Think Think Think
In humans?Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

No, No, No. O Lord save us.Pray Pray Pray Pray

Foot-and-mouth disease or hoof-and-mouth disease (Aphthae epizooticae) is an infectious and sometimes fatal viral disease that affects cloven-hoofed animals, including domestic and wild bovids.[1][2] The virus causes a high fever for approximately two to six days, followed by blisters inside the mouth and on the feet that may rupture and cause lameness

Hope123 , you are brave woman.

Or I am unable to understand point of view.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:29:13 PM

Neurons: 164,315
Hi Ashwin.

In humans, the disease called 'foot and moth disease' is even more serious!Anxious

Every time the patient opens her mouth, she puts her foot in it.

4. put one's foot in one's mouth, to make an embarrassing blunder.

"I have foot & mouth disease" means "Every time I say something, I say something embarrassing."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:06:39 PM

Thanks for explaining Drago. Ashwin, you just learned a native speaker's jargon. :) That's why I put it in quotation marks.

I was just saying that we all say something inappropriate and rather stupid at times when we open our mouths without engaging our brains. What BB said (I guess because I don't remember her exact words) did not show the empathy she usually showed when she was able back then to hold a child with AIDS when everybody was afraid of that disease. She had lost her own child and was able to empathize with those children and parents, but apparently was tone deaf about Katrina.

Thinking about her and the times back when she was First Lady gives me nostalgia for the more congenial times in US politics. Although the two groups fought fiercely for their own policies - and somerimes it got nasty - there was still a sense that "Hey, we're all Americans when it comes to certain values".That seems to be gone these days.

Gone not just in American politics. I wrote on this Forum a while ago that I was afraid Trumpism was going to spill over in to Canada. Well, it has. We have our own Trump Lite vying to be Premier of Ontario. Remember Ford, the notorious mayor of Toronto for a while? Well, his brother is now leader of the Conservative Party for Ontario and yesterday he stopped just short of saying "Lock her up" about Kathleen Wynne, the gay woman who is now Premier. She has done absolutely nothing illegal to deserve such bullying and she's not taking it sitting down. But the polls are all expecting him to win, even though he refuses to talk to the press and lay out any policies while she has done her best to help those struggling on the edge of society. And the press are helping him just as they did Trump in the US.

I remember a time in Canada when there were the governing party and the "Loyal Opposition". Not so these days. There is no respect and everybody is just out to make a point to score for their side with nasty heckling every day in the Legislature.

Sad for those of us who remember the values and the desire to put the country first. It is gone in the US and it is going in Canada. This post is not meant as a poitical statement but as someone missing the congeniality members of all parties in both countries had. Some were even friends outside of the politcal arena.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:06:10 PM

How it is supposed to be.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:23:04 AM

Neurons: 70,683
Thanks Hope123 for enlightening me about jargon words.

Researching I found many more such words in the dictionary.Dancing Dancing Dancing

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj