The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Why cannot access the forums? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:43:07 AM

Neurons: 15,365
Hi,could someone let me know why I cannot access the English forums? Is there something wrong with the forums' computer system or is my mobile out of order?

Thanks.
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:39:00 AM

Neurons: 546,023
I had a similar problem yesterday. It took about three hours until I could access the Forums again. Error message 503. Probably maintenance of the server. Or the Russians again? Whistle
No problems with the TFD homepage, though.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:49:32 AM

Neurons: 169,836
I didn't have trouble accessing the forums, but they ran extremely s-l-o-w-l-y . . .

Type something; click on 'post'; go off and make a coffee while the post is processed; click on another thread; drink the coffee; type a reply . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:42:16 AM

However, today . . .

From 6:30 to 13:30, I couldn't access the forums at all, and now it is even slower than yesterday.

Click on "add reply", go off, make a coffee, drink it and then wait a little before the "answer-pane" appears.
Then type my answer and click 'post' then go off and read a book for fifteen minutes until the answer-pane disappears and the thread comes back on the screen, then click on "English Vocabulary" and go to make another coffee . . .

thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:33:09 AM

Neurons: 69,947
The Russians are claiming there was never a problem. You made it all up.

But there is a suspect -
Lock up your motherboards. No computer is safe!

Quote:
Police are searching for Sindri þór Stefánsson who escaped from Sognið prison last night. He was in police cistody under investigation for massive theft of computer equipment. He is of athletic build and measures 192 cm, has light brown hair and a short beard.

Anyone who has seen him or knows of his whereabouts is asked to contact police.

Update at 16:20: Police have confirmed that the prisoner left Iceland for Sweden this morning.

This is Schengen Zone, no passport required.

Quote:
A man suspected of masterminding the theft of 600 computers that were being used to attack virtual currencies has escaped custody in Iceland, police say.

Sindri Thor Stefansson escaped the low-security prison through a window and fled to Sweden on a passenger plane that was also carrying Iceland's prime minister, local media report.

He used another man's passport but was identified through surveillance video.

The stolen computers, which are still missing, are worth $2m (£1.45m).

Mr Stefansson was among 11 people arrested in February suspected of involvement in the case, dubbed by local media as the "Big Bitcoin Heist".

The computers were stolen during four raids on data centres around Iceland, a popular location for such centres because almost 100% of the power generated there comes from renewable sourrces.
Ten days before his escape he had been transferred to Sogn open prison in rural southern Iceland, some 95km (59 miles) from Keflavik's international airport.

The prison is unfenced and inmates have access to phones and the internet, local news website Visir reports (in Icelandic). Sindri Thor Stefansson was not considered a dangerous inmate.

Details are still unclear but the suspect reportedly escaped early on Tuesday and guards reported him missing only after the flight had already left Keflavik for Arlanda airport north of the Swedish capital, Stockholm.

Iceland's Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir was on her way to Sweden to take part in a meeting between five Nordic prime ministers and India's prime minister Narendra Modi. She has not commented on the escape.

An international warrant has been issued for Mr Stefansson's arrest.

Quote:
Helgi Gunnlaugsson, a sociology professor at the University of Iceland, said keeping a high-profile prisoner in such low-security surroundings was unusual — but more so was his organized escape.

"Prison breaks in Iceland usually mean someone just fled to get drunk," he said. "The underworlds are tiny and it is extremely difficult to hide, let alone flee the country."

Not so difficult!

Some links are still broken, and others seem to be dodgy, so there was clearly something wrong their end. Bad patch or Russian cyber attack?Think
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:15:18 AM

Actually, it turns out to be a descendent of Snorri Þorbrandsson, who - rather than being killed by the Skrælings, as was previously reported - settled down in Greenland with an Inuit girl and produced twenty-seven children.

This attack on TFD is apparently a protest against the North American use of the English language and alphabet, rather than the original Icelandic.

palapaguy
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:15:25 AM

Neurons: 10,086
Koh Elaine wrote:
Hi,could someone let me know why I cannot access the English forums? Is there something wrong with the forums' computer system or is my mobile out of order?

Thanks.

If your mobile's out of order, don't worry - you can simply reply online from home. Whistle
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:28:38 AM

Neurons: 4,627
It happened. Now fine.

I am a layman.