The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The platinum set number Options
vkhu
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:09:33 AM

Neurons: 6,343
Quote:
'Get on the phone to Brown Thomas. The platinum set number. Reopen my account. Tell Helene I want a Yuletide makeover. The works.'

'Yes, ma'am. The works.'

Context: basically, a rich lady just woke up from a coma. It was Christmas. She saw the house being in a bit of a shamble, and wanted to do some redecoration. She ordered her manservant to do those things.

I think platinum set number have something to do with banking, but not sure exactly what. Could someone elaborate on it please?

Also, there's this "The works" thing. Yuletide is just an archaic term for Xmas, but the phrase right after it make it sound like this is the name of an artist or something. But I can't find any reference on an artist called Yuletide. So what does "the works" refer to?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:30:30 AM

Neurons: 6,109
"The works" means to the greatest extent or the complete treatment.

What it means in this context depends on what the skills Helene has but the makeover that she does will be as much as she can possibly do.

I think that "platinum set number" may refer to an account number at a store named "Brown Thomas" where Helene works rather than a bank account.

Rich people sometimes have personal accounts with stores rather than using credit cards, that way they don't have to carry cards themselves which seems gauche to them.

There may be more clues in the context of the story, such as what tyoe of establishment Brown Thomas is.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
vkhu
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:36:16 AM

Neurons: 6,343
Sarrriesfan wrote:
There may be more clues in the context of the story, such as what tyoe of establishment Brown Thomas is.

Unfortunately, this is all there is to it. This is the end of the story, and the author seems to be throwing out random rich-people-stuff to show how rich this family is.

And it does seem there's a department store called Brown Thomas. So I guess she did want to reopen a customer account there and have the house completely redecorated.

Still, I don't quite get the platinum set number thing. What does that have to do with a buyer account at a department store?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:50:05 AM

Neurons: 6,109
I would imagine that there are different levels of customer account possibly Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum each with different spending limits on them.

A Bronze might allow say £1000, Silver £5000, Gold £10000 and Platinum £20000.
( The amounts and currencies are not important)

This would allow the store to know how much could be spent on the makeover up to a certain limit without having to consult the rich person over every last detail, presumably the type of person that just pays others to decorate their house for them does not like to be involved themselves.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 4:00:49 PM

Neurons: 1,079
The quote comes from a young adult SF/Fantasy novel about an Irish crime syndicate family headed by a twelve-year-old prodigy who kidnaps a fairy. The scene takes place on Christmas at the "happily-ever-after" ending of the book.

'And look at this place. Drab as a mausoleum. Butler?'

The manservant hurriedly pocketed his Sig Sauer.

'Yes, ma'am?'

'Get on the phone to Brown Thomas. The platinum set number. Reopen my account. Tell Helene I want a Yuletide makeover. The works.'

'Yes, ma'am. The works.'

'Oh, and wake up Juliet. I want my things moved into the main bedroom. That attic is far too dusty.'

To clarify the text:
The butler's name is Butler. (This allow the main character to say things like, "Butler did it.")
A Sig Sauer is a gun.
Brown Thomas is an Irish department store chain. (Harrods is to London what Brown Thomas is to Dublin.) They have two loyalty card account levels, Black and Platinum. To qualify for a Platinum card you must spend over €5,000 in a year.

The text seems to suggest that there is a special telephone number for Platinum Card members, using the term "platinum set" to indicate a particular social grouping, as in the "horsey set" or the "opera set". I doubt there is special telephone number, but this is a novel.

It isn't entirely clear what is being "made over", but I'm inclined to think it is a beauty makeover, rather than the household decoration. The character has been living in an attic room taking large amounts of sleeping pills for the entire book.

Yes, ma'am. Right away, ma'am.'

Angeline Fowl linked her son's arm.

'Now, Arty, I want to know everything. First of all, what happened here?'

'Remodelling,' said Artemis. 'The old doorway was riddled with damp.'
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 6:40:31 AM

Neurons: 170,123
Eoin Riedy wrote:
To clarify the text:
The butler's name is Butler. (This allow the main character to say things like, "Butler did it.")[/color]

Well done on recognising it Eoin - are you sure your last name's not Colfer?

Butler is also a lot more than a butler.
His first name is Domovoi - a Russian/Slavic "guardian of the house" spirit.

The actor voted "most likely to play Butler" by fans of the books is Jason Statham - not your typical Jeeves-type.

And the actor finally chosen is Nonso Anozie.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!