The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

usage of the verb "to abominate" Options
robjen
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 6:02:58 PM

Neurons: 2,648
The online dictionary www.thefreedictionary.com defines that to abominate means to dislike intensely.

I think it's a very strong word. I am going to make up two sentences below.

(1) Farmers abominate heavy snowfall and strong wind because they destroy their crops.

(2) Heavy snowfall and strong wind are abominated because they destroy farmers' crops.

Am I using the verb correctly? Thanks for your help.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 7:37:05 PM

Neurons: 161,951
Hello robjen.

You are right. "Abominate" is a very strong word.
It is also an almost unknown word in British English. It may be used occasionally by a politician or priest saying how terrible someone (from another party or religion) is - but I don't think I've ever heard it said in 68 years.

The adjective "abominable" is sometimes heard (not often, but sometimes), usually in the phrase "abominable snowman" - the common name for the Yeti.

I don't know how you came across this word. It is correct as you use it, but 'hate', 'loathe', 'detest' are common words which you will read, and which people would understand. "Hate" is not so strong as "abominate", but is the same idea. "Loathe" and "detest" are very similar.
"Abhor" is not so usual but would be understood.
"Abominate" and "Execrate" would be understood by some people, but not most people.

Personally, I would use these words more to describe one's reaction to something evil and cruel - not just the weather.

Farmers hate heavy snow. Acts of genocide (killing a whole other race) is abominable.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
palapaguy
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:08:11 PM

Neurons: 9,119
Abominate | Definition of Abominate by Merriam-Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abominate

hate, detest, abhor, abominate, loathe mean to feel strong aversion or intense dislike for. hate implies an emotional aversion often coupled with enmity or malice.

This is the first time I ever heard the word in verb form.
Gabriel82
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 1:46:32 AM

Neurons: 139,468
robjen wrote:
The online dictionary www.thefreedictionary.com defines that to abominate means to dislike intensely.

I think it's a very strong word. I am going to make up two sentences below.

(1) Farmers abominate heavy snowfall and strong wind because they destroy their crops.

(2) Heavy snowfall and strong wind are abominated because they destroy farmers' crops.

Am I using the verb correctly? Thanks for your help.

The Spanish equivalent of this word is used far more often than the English version.

One of the listings for this shows it started being used about 1840-50. I cannot shake the feeling this must be an antiquated usage because I never hear it said, as I hear some of the following used instead:

1) loathe
2) abhor
3) detest
4) intensely dislike
5) hate
6) despise

Really the usage might seem to have more of a Biblical usage/application than anything else.
thar
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:24:24 AM

Neurons: 67,565
As Drago says, the definition and synonyms don't show the niche use of this word. It has become associated with not just hatred but disgust for something that is unnatural, should not exist, is even against god. Morally repulsive.
That is why it isn't used much!