The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

spadewise Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:10:03 AM

Neurons: 6,343
Quote:
She wondered if it would fit into her handbag. She tried it spadewise, the flat side up, and it went in.

I can't imagine how she put the gun in her handbag. Did she flip the gun on its side and put it in?

Also, from her description of the gun (have a "fluted bulge in the middle," six "round black chambers") and the time period (1940s), I guess this is a Colt. And from the pictures on Google, I don't see the Colt having any flat part. So what side of it was up?
FounDit
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:52:20 AM

Neurons: 50,164
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
She wondered if it would fit into her handbag. She tried it spadewise, the flat side up, and it went in.

I can't imagine how she put the gun in her handbag. Did she flip the gun on its side and put it in?

Also, from her description of the gun (have a "fluted bulge in the middle," six "round black chambers") and the time period (1940s), I guess this is a Colt. And from the pictures on Google, I don't see the Colt having any flat part. So what side of it was up?

You have it right. She turned it on its side. The side of the handle and the frame would be the flat part. The cylinder that holds the bullets is round, as is the barrel, but lying on its side, it would look flat, just as it did in the pic thar used.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit