The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

❤️ Healthy! Series #5 - Lowering Cholesterol Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:07:45 PM

Neurons: 521,622
Dear Learners,

I was asked this week for natural alternatives to address bad-cholesterol levels...I thought you'd find this interesting.

Lowering Cholesterol

1. Roasted Almonds with the Skins
Just a fistful of almonds packs a whopping 9 grams of monounsaturated fat, helping slash bad cholesterol, while boosting the good kind. Opting for almonds instead of a doughnut, chips, or pretzels for two snacks a day could cut your "bad" cholesterol by nearly 10 percent. Natural vitamin E in the almond's "meat" plus flavonoids in this nut's papery skin also help halt the development of artery-clogging plaque.

2. Avocados
In a study from Mexico's Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, women and men who ate one avocado per day for a week had a reduction in total cholesterol of 17 percent. The amazing details: While their levels of unhealthy LDL and triglycerides fell, good HDL levels actually rose thanks, perhaps to the avocado's high levels of "good" monounsaturated fat. This fatty fruit is also full of cholesterol-cutting beta-sitosterol.

3. Tomatoes Fresh, Sun-Dried, and in Sauce
Eating seven or more servings per week cut risk of cardiovascular disease by 30 percent in a recent study of more than 35,000 women conducted by doctors at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. The heart-smart factor? It could be the antioxidant lycopene or the tomato's stellar levels of vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Cooking tomatoes for 30 minutes or longer raises levels of available lycopene. And 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes has more blood pressure–lowering potassium than a medium banana!

4. Canned Salmon
Among omega-3 rich fatty fish, salmon is king: One serving contains about 1.8 grams of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), important omega-3s that help cut your risk of deadly out-of-rhythm heartbeats; reduce bad cholesterol; cool inflammation; and may even discourage atherosclerosis and the formation of blood clots.

5. Good Old-fashioned Oatmeal
Betaglucan, the soluble fiber found in oats, acts like a sponge, trapping cholesterol-rich bile acids in the intestines and eliminating them. The result is lower "bad" LDL because there's less cholesterol to be absorbed into the bloodstream. A big bowl of oatmeal per day (about 1-1/2 cups) could cut cholesterol an extra 2 to 3 percent, suggests a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Source: www.ehealthme.com

DISCLAIMER: You may be tempted to try the above foods to lower your cholesterol levels. But please do your homework before you use any of them. Natural foods do heal, but each person’s health situation is unique, and some foods may have unanticipated and unintended consequences, for eg., allergies to nuts or 'nightshade vegetables', especially when used in combination with prescription drug therapies. I am telling you this for your own good. Be careful. Be very careful...

I do not prescribe cures, just documented natural alternatives to prescription drugs. You are what you eat!

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 5:57:40 AM

Neurons: 406,673
Hah!

I eat oatmeal nearly every morning, tomatoes daily, salmon at lest once a week, and avocados every other day.

My doctor says I look like 20 years younger than I am.

(I also eat berries, cucumber, onion, basil, mushroom, perch... ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 12:10:21 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Hah!

I eat oatmeal nearly every morning, tomatoes daily, salmon at lest once a week, and avocados every other day.

My doctor says I look like 20 years younger than I am.

(I also eat berries, cucumber, onion, basil, mushroom, perch... ;-)

Thank you so much for your post Jyrkkä Jätkä ...you made my day! ;)

Believe-It-Or-Not...
I too, eat oatmeal nearly every morning, tomatoes (once a week, because as nightshades, they don't like me), salmon about twice a month, and avocados every day...pretty much a Puertorrican staple. (I eat a handful of cashews each day for my hair...which is healthy)
My doctor says I look like 15-20 years younger...(I'm 70 and pass for 50-55)
I also eat cucumbers, onions, basil, mushrooms, along with garlic, radishes, beans, cilantro and plantains...but I'm not sure what perch is.

So, I found a twin on the other side of the world....awesome!

It bears repeating; Thank you so much for your post...YOU MADE MY DAY! ;)
hedy Dancing

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 12:31:08 PM

Neurons: 174,675
Perch is a kind (well, several kinds) of fish.
It's not a very regular food as it's a river-fish and not caught in the huge numbers which sea-fish are caught.

The nutritional info is interesting:
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.2 g 1%
Saturated fat 0.2 g 1%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 115 mg 38%
Sodium 79 mg 3%
Potassium 344 mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Protein 25 g 50%

Very high protein-value at 25grams per 100grams of meat - about as much as VERY lean beef.
It has the same amount of cholesterol as beef, but much, much less fat in total (1.2 grams in Perch, 15 grams in lean beef).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 12:51:42 PM

Eek, Drag0nspeaker, I DO know what perch is (it was listed with vegis, so it threw me off. I thought maybe it was a vegi I hadn't heard of...kinda like 'maduros' ...what was I thinking?) Brick wall Brick wall

I guess I was overwhelmed with Jrrkkä Jātkā's post...I sent this thread late last night and saw her response first thing this morning and was all excited! Applause

Thanks for your very informative postApplause I am forwarding your info, because it's important when choosing fish...maybe WE IS teaching TFDers a thing or two about good stuff they may not even know...if they do...Awesome! Dancing

About the cholesterol level...crustaceans, as in shrimp, and some fish, are very high in cholesterol...guess that could be another thread!

You probably know that 'wild caught' seafoods are better than 'farm raised' which are GMO (genetically modified organism)...terminology used on the label instead of GMO, that has a bad rap! Same as 'seedless' watermelon, grapes, and now cucumbers, etc...scary

PS So eat healthy and have a great weekend you guys! Dancing
hedy

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 1:38:19 PM

Seedless cucumbers . . .???

(PS JJ is a man - he was just a very cute little boy when that photo was taken)

hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 1:57:16 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Seedless cucumbers . . .???
They were advertised in the 'Key-Food' circular this week...can you believe it?

(PS JJ is a man - he was just a very cute little boy when that photo was taken)
Oops! d'oh! ...he could still be my twin? You think?

Dancing Dancing

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 8:53:42 AM

I suppose twinhood is possible (or should that be twinicity - or twinnage - or even twinningness?).

He told us a long time ago that his nickname - Jyrkkä Jätkä - means something like "Tough guy". What the privates called him when he was a (sergeant?) in the army - I think that last bit is right, about the army. It was a long time ago.

hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 10:30:52 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I suppose twinhood is possible (or should that be twinicity - or twinnage - or even twinningness?).

He told us a long time ago that his nickname - Jyrkkä Jätkä - means something like "Tough guy". What the privates called him when he was a (sergeant?) in the army - I think that last bit is right, about the army. It was a long time ago.

Yes, all of the above work (which are kinda cute!) although here in America it's just plain twins — whether 2 girls, 2 boys, or one of each...(boring)

Oh, that's wild...I like that nickname, guess I'm some kind of a Jyrkkä 'Jätkä' cause I'm a 4'11" "Tough 'guy'" myself!...LOL...
My sig, hedy mmm are my initials!

PS Jyrkkä Jätkä...sorry I thought you were a female...d'oh! Brick wall however, I'm really proud that you're a vet!Applause
hedy

TMe
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 1:16:35 PM

Neurons: 4,943
All regards for hedy...

Another herbal product which helps decrease bad cholesterol is Linseed oil.

"Lower cholesterol, protect against heart disease and control high blood pressure:
Several studies indicate that linseed oil, as well as ground linseeds, can lower cholesterol, thereby significantly reducing the risk of heart disease. Taking linseed oil may also protect against angina (chest pain) and high blood pressure. In addition, a five-year study done recently at Boston's Simmons College found that linseed oil may be useful in preventing a second heart attack. It may also help prevent elevated blood pressure by inhibiting inflammatory reactions that cause artery-hardening plaque and poor circulation."

Source: http://www.seedguides.info/linseed-oil/

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 2:15:22 PM

It bares repeating:

TMe wrote:
Another herbal product which helps decrease bad cholesterol is Linseed oil.

"Lower cholesterol, protect against heart disease and control high blood pressure:
Several studies indicate that linseed oil, as well as ground linseeds, can lower cholesterol, thereby significantly reducing the risk of heart disease. Taking linseed oil may also protect against angina (chest pain) and high blood pressure. In addition, a five-year study done recently at Boston's Simmons College found that linseed oil may be useful in preventing a second heart attack. It may also help prevent elevated blood pressure by inhibiting inflammatory reactions that cause artery-hardening plaque and poor circulation."

Source: http://www.seedguides.info/linseed-oil/

Yes, it is a website worth perusing. In the case of acid-reflux or GERD, where medications such as Omeprazole (that has over 97 side effects) are frequently prescribed. The use of linseed oil, or chewing on fennel seeds is very effective [
i](which is my next "❤️ Healthy Series #6 install)[/i]

As always, TMe thank you for your response
hedy

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 5:34:15 AM

Hedy,

you're not the first one to err in thinking I'm female. That pic was taken when I had my two-years birthday ;-)

The "privates" who gave me the nick Jyrkkä Jätkä were actually NCO trainees while I was their instructor for 11 courses during the 80s. I was also trained in Army Rangers (similar troops as Finnish Jaegers) course in USA, that was "fun". Not as tough as in Finland. Nowadays they send groups of US soldiers to train here in Finland, especially in Lapland.

The net is full of information about healthy food. I've noticed I eat less and less red meat, and more and more vegetables nowadays.

hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:30:26 PM

Hi Jyrkkä Jätkä,

Thank you for your response...(so I goofed, sorry! I guess it proves I'm not perfect...lol)....nothing wrong with long hair, mine is below my waist!

I like how you got your nickname, actually it's nice, it could've been a lot worse (especially being trained in the USA!! My husband told me doozies he encountered during his training)...obviously you were a great instructor!

My bro-in-law Rich sent me this attachment: unknown-532 B Huey.jpg which I can't place in TFD, can you place in your browser?
Rich (84) and his wife live in Seattle, Washington, he is now retired...their daughter and hubby Dennis, graduated from West Point Academy...obviously the military is in their bones...#4 graduate, Dennis was a brain surgeon at Walter Reed Hospital...has traveled extensively for the army and is now transferred to a Texas Hospital, still top in his field.

Rich keeps in touch with me quite frequently (I was learning to fly till 9/11, so we have a commonality, he says he can talk to me and I understand!) sadly, my husband/his brother, transitioned 4.5 yrs ago...(my husband served in the Air Force) Rich did 3 tours in Vietnam during that war.

I wanted to share the quote he sent with the attachment:
"Once you have tasted flight you walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.”
~ Leonardo DaVinci

"Yes indeed"...quotes Richard M. who flew over 16,000 hrs. in 34 yrs of flying in the Army

Rich's email to me: "That looks like me flying the one in front of the others!! I did it for about 3000 hours in this Huey Helicopter. I also flew just about 13,000 hours in all the other Fixed wing airplanes in the 34 years flying in the Army!!"

I thank God for our veterans & present armed forces...whether here or abroad, they should be remembered, because they deserve it!
Our motto in the USA is "Land of the Free, Because of the Brave".

Thank you for a glimpse into the life of Jyrkkä Jätkä...Applause Applause Applause
be blessed, hedy

PS eating less red meat is great...you are on the right track...too bad people don't realize that "You are what you eat"

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:14:19 AM

Hi Hedy.
I couldn't find that particular picture, but I like this one of a Huey (the UH-1H helicopter) - looks like a bumble-bee.

Hope that helps.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:18:30 AM

During the Army Rangers course I was dropped down to Gila desert from a Huey ;-)

The goal was 200 miles away. You had six days to go there. Now that was fun!
I killed and ate a rattle. It was a food for the week. Not sure how wealthy, but it tasted like chicken leg.

srirr
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:10:12 AM

Neurons: 274,080
Oh well! Another interesting info. Thanks Hedy!
We often say that to stay healthy, be close to nature. Eating veggies, doing physical work, are always good. More you tire your body, more you stay fit. I too have good amount of salad and green leafy vegetables in my daily diet, but I am not able to keep a habit of eating some specific item (like oats or barley or almonds etc.) everyday. I just eat what I can find, mostly the seasonal things. Oh yes, milk is a routine for me every night before going to bed. And other habit that I have never quit is drinking water properly and adequately.

I once started to have a garlic clove first thing in the morning. I continued it for a few weeks, but then the seriousness of keeping the habit died. d'oh!

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand