mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

“Johnny Booker, he’p dis..." Options
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:44:14 AM

Neurons: 2,847
Hello!

This is from "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell:

Then the music broke into the rollicking strains of “Johnny Booker, he’p dis Nigger!” and Scarlett thought she would scream. She wanted to dance.

I understand "dis" is for "this", but what is "he'p" for?

Many thanks!
papo_308
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 9:26:27 AM

Neurons: 23,854
It's probably "help this Nigger".

See here:

https://books.google.cz/books?id=7d4wVLIOK8EC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=Johnny+Booker,+he%E2%80%99p+dis+Nigger&source=bl&ots=2fDligXusD&sig=o7LgQq2MLE3vkmt81_KHCCm2aMU&hl=cs&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGo_an0JHaAhVNhqYKHXkgAVwQ6AEIPjAC#v=onepage&q=Johnny%20Booker%2C%20he%E2%80%99p%20dis%20Nigger&f=false
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 9:41:54 AM

Yes! Thanks a lot!

I've used your suggestion and found the song, here it is:

https://maxhunter.missouristate.edu/songinformation.aspx?ID=1065

It also gives an idea of what kind of songs they sang during balls at that time (Atlanta GA, CSA, 1861)
palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 10:37:56 PM

Neurons: 11,270
How times have changed! We can't even say the word now. That's the power of Political Correctness.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 4:52:34 AM

palapaguy wrote:
How times have changed! We can't even say the word now. That's the power of Political Correctness.

Yes, I've got the title of this thread edited for this reason, which I don't mind as I don't want to offend anybody if it really sounds as an insult.

I've been confused since from what I hear in American rap songs members of the black community itself do still call each other "nigga", and certainly they did so in the 19th century, so I wonder whether this "problem" has been somewhat inflated. Angel Do black people really feel insulted at the word? Anyway, this is not exactly my business. The onlt thing I want is to learn about the language and the country, so I do want to follow the rules of what's aceptable these days and what's not.

I thank administrators of this forum for their advice on the matter and making the necessary correction for me.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 10:51:34 AM

Neurons: 181,948
It depends on who is saying it and the intention.

In rap songs, or between friends, I suppose it has the intention of showing brotherhood or companionship.

In other cases, it is meant to show that the person is "different" and an outsider - so is an insult.

It is common, at least in Britain and Australia, and I think in America too, for friends to speak in insulting terms to each other. It shows friendship without being "soppy".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:00:31 AM

Neurons: 51,878
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It depends on who is saying it and the intention.

In rap songs, or between friends, I suppose it has the intention of showing brotherhood or companionship.

In other cases, it is meant to show that the person is "different" and an outsider - so is an insult.

It is common, at least in Britain and Australia, and I think in America too, for friends to speak in insulting terms to each other. It shows friendship without being "soppy".

This was true for a time. However, today many books are being banned and removed form libraries simply for having the word written in them, such as those written by Mark Twain. And today, no white person is permitted to even say the word, even in its historical context, without severe condemnation, such is the hatred fomented by the Political Left.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 6:49:51 AM

Neurons: 181,948
It doesn't seem to be so political (in the governmental sense) in Britain.

In fact I'd say that the most PC-maniacal PC maniacs seem to be the extremely conservative, middle-class office worker/corporate minor executive type.
The "working class" majority and the "senior executive" group (the ones at whose door the buck really stops) tend to be more free in thought and speech.

This is where it seems to have originated - the "Human Resources" instead of 'people' or 'personnel'; the "Tea-person" instead of "tea-boy" (if it happened to be the young male apprentice) or
"tea-lady" (if it happened to be a lady). Where the working man calls himself a dustman or (in the USA) 'garbage man', these people would call him a 'waste disposal and reclamation operative'.

I can understand some of the racial and religious 'nicknames' becoming mostly unused (or only used by someone being deliberately discriminatory and insulting). "Nigger", "honky", "towel-head",
"goy", "Yid", "shegetz" all deserve to be forgotten in the mists of time.

However, the "over-the-top", total "Oh my god, you mentioned that she had blue eyes, that's discriminatory!" seems to be reserved for the ultra-conservative "got to maintain the status-quo
and not upset anyone, anywhere. Don't make a fuss, dear" types. In the UK, these people seem to gravitate to (or grow from) the middle-middle classes who are trying so hard
to pretend that they are really upper-middle-class. They are the mainstay of the Conservative Party.

Of course, we all (from all demographics) are a bit more aware than in the past.
(I just read some excerpts from "Thomas A.Smith and his Electric Rifle" from the etymology of "TASER" - a 1911 book about an American hunting elephant in Africa - and it's terrible.
Every African he meets talks with a "Swannee" dialect, has an IQ of about 60 and calls him "Massa".)
To me, that sort of thing is more insulting than just mentioning that their skin is dark.

It's odd to notice the difference in cultures.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!