The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

baseline out of bounds Options
Jose Mourinho
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:15:38 AM

Neurons: 890
What does "baseline out of bounds" mean in this context?
He hit a few of rise-and-launch jumpers from mid-range; one out of a baseline out of bounds set, another off a jab step facing up his man after catching the ball on a seal from the mid-post and in the one instance where he worked his defender with his back to the basket, Ayton went to the middle, faked turning left, turned right and took a short fade-away jumper from just outside the restricted area.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:38:39 PM

Neurons: 169,836
I don't understand several of the phrases used in that.
It is spoken in a jargon (lingo) which only a few fanatical fans would understand (well, "only a few" compared to the number of English-speakers on the planet).

It is (just looking logically) a ball from the baseline, which was part of a set (a pre-arranged series of moves or passes) . . . maybe Anxious Eh?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:08:44 PM

Neurons: 48,867
Jose Mourinho wrote:
What does "baseline out of bounds" mean in this context?
He hit a few of rise-and-launch jumpers from mid-range; one out of a baseline out of bounds set, another off a jab step facing up his man after catching the ball on a seal from the mid-post and in the one instance where he worked his defender with his back to the basket, Ayton went to the middle, faked turning left, turned right and took a short fade-away jumper from just outside the restricted area.

The part about hitting a few rise-and-launch jumpers from mid-range, and there being a basket makes me think this is about basketball. If so, then hitting one out of a baseline out of bounds set, gives me reason to think this is a set of shots that result from an out-of-bounds foul at the baseline. If I recall correctly, there are 3 attempts to hit the basket in this kind of foul, but I'm not a fan of that sport, so I could be wrong.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:32:44 PM

Neurons: 1,079
Definitely about basketball; Deandre Ayton is a University of Arizona center and power forward position player who plans to turn professional this year.