The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

lodge a police report Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:02:32 PM

Neurons: 18,324
Where I live, we say "We are lodging a police report." I remember reading that "lodging" is the wrong verb. It should be "filing" or "making".

Is it correct?

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:19:02 PM

Neurons: 51,787
Koh Elaine wrote:
Where I live, we say "We are lodging a police report." I remember reading that "lodging" is the wrong verb. It should be "filing" or "making".

Is it correct?

Thanks.

I think "filing" would be the more correct term. However, we often also use "lodging" for such things as complaints, so it's quite common.

verb:
3. to make (an objection, an appeal etc) formally or officially.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:00:34 PM

Neurons: 18,324
Thanks, FounDit.
TMe
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 1:00:56 PM

Neurons: 4,943
2 Answers
active oldest votes
up vote
down vote
In reference to "complaint", they are virtually identical in meaning. Usage preference is a matter of chronology and which-side-of-the-pond:

"File a complaint" is more common in American English since about 1950; before that, "lodge a complaint was more common.

"Lodge a complaint" has been more common in British English, but "file" has been gaining usage rapidly (in written works) since about the 1970s, and overtook "lodge" in about 2000, but lately they seem to be running neck-and-neck.

Source. Google Ngram

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 1:34:10 PM

Neurons: 181,785
It sounded a bit 'odd' to me, so I checked what TMe said about the ngram graphs.

It is true that "file a complaint" and "lodge a complaint" can be used interchangeably, and both are used.

However, "File a report" is common - "lodge a report" is so rare as to be considered "odd", "strange" or . . . "don't use it".

I have no idea how it became this way, but you only 'lodge' accusations, charges, complaints.
If you are just giving a report, evidence or data, you file it.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 1:51:15 PM

Neurons: 3,245
1t seems dragon has changed h1s d1st1nat1on 1t was Edunburg, but 1t 1s changed. Perhaps my long absence 1n th1s fora has made me to ask a quest1on that 1 should have asked many months or years ago.Boo hoo!

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:01:51 PM

Neurons: 181,785
Hi Ebenezer!
When I first put my location in this new profile (the one with the brain and neurons etc), I had to choose from a drop-down list of cities.
Edinburgh was the nearest one.
Later, I saw that I could enter my real location which is outside Edinburgh city - on the road to Glasgow.

Why all the "1"s?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!