The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The White Helmets Options
Helenej
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 4:26:59 AM

Neurons: 9,761
I can’t believe my eyes. Just a few hours ago the Politics section was being topped with Jadalyeen’s thread about the White Helmets in Syria. The thread contained an absolutely hilarious post by thar, which made me roll on the floor with laughter. If it’s true that laughing adds years to people’s lifespan, I thought I would live at least a couple years longer.

And now the thread is gone. And so are all Jadalyeen’s posts. I know that a thread starter can temporarily delete their thread, but I didn’t know it is possible to do so if someone posted after you. Strange, isn’t it?

This morning I was hoping to boost my mood by reading the thread again. What a disappointment.
Yarin
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:27:39 PM

Neurons: 2,482
Well Jadaleen has the right to post what he or she believes in. And thar and the likes just prove what really are. They hate to read the other view. So thar said hilarious things to hide the other view. They want one sided point of view. It's a kind of terrorism.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 12:49:51 AM

Neurons: 1,873,623
Helenej wrote:
I can’t believe my eyes. Just a few hours ago the Politics section was being topped with Jadalyeen’s thread about the White Helmets in Syria. The thread contained an absolutely hilarious post by thar, which made me roll on the floor with laughter. If it’s true that laughing adds years to people’s lifespan, I thought I would live at least a couple years longer.

And now the thread is gone. And so are all Jadalyeen’s posts. I know that a thread starter can temporarily delete their thread, but I didn’t know it is possible to do so if someone posted after you. Strange, isn’t it?

This morning I was hoping to boost my mood by reading the thread again. What a disappointment.

Eh well. Better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all. I never got to see it, and it sounds like it would've been, err, hilarious.

And I agree with the general point that the best way to fight this sort of propaganda is with laughter. I've seen a lot of amplification of a few White Helmets acting (grossly) inappropriately magnified into the whole movement acting inappropriately. But I suspect the reason Jadalyeen's thread was censored is that TFD no longer tolerates gross misinformation even if it is rejected and debunked thoroughly. There are plenty of places on the net where you can see misinformation and how people reject it.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 9:05:22 AM

Neurons: 5,849
I always used to like watching The White Helmets displays, it's a shame that after 90 years they disbanded them last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41292958

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.