The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

International Women's Day Options
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:43:01 AM

Neurons: 429,270
May I raise my toast to all you gutsy, brave, enterprising, and tender female fellow creatures, who have made, and will make, this world a better place!

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:14:03 AM

Neurons: 46,147

Aw, thanks, JJ.

It just struck me the other day that I used break bounds at boarding school to go and march for Women's Rights when I was 17.

Yet now, all these many years afterwards, here I am - still carrying banners and marching in solidarity. And we Still don't have equal pay!!

We started celebrating here on Saturday - again this coming weekend: Women's History. As you can imagine: I'm loving it.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:49:09 AM

Neurons: 48,155
:)

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:31:43 AM

Neurons: 454,797
Should female football (soccer) players get paid the same as male players? I think so, but maybe that's not possible.

I remember, therefore I am.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:53:12 AM

Neurons: 7,327
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Should female football (soccer) players get paid the same as male players? I think so, but maybe that's not possible.

If you were paying them just for the effort of playing their sport and the days that they spend training for it yes equal,pay would be appropriate.

However in sports and other fields of entertainments pay rates often reflect the amount the public are willing to pay, in person attending matches and in television subscriptions. In some sports such as tennis were the attendances are the same the yes equal pay is obviously correct but in football the case is not the same as it stands here in the UK certainly. The same is true of my favourite sport Rugby Union the 6 Nations matches this weekend will take place in front of 10,000s per match in total around 200,000 paying customers, Harlequins ladies are hoping for a world record 5000 person attendance for their match this weekend.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 11:01:14 AM

I guess when women's matches start pulling in the same crowds and generating the millions of quid that male footie matches do, there'd be no reason not to pay them the same?
progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:16:59 PM

Neurons: 312,697
Shameless plug:
https://www.kiva.org/

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
TMe
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:23:42 PM

Neurons: 4,943
On Women's Day, I wanna know how many women/men have exempted wife or maids from house-hold chores, office or other duties?
Wishing Happy Women's Day is easier. Compassion is somebody else's job.

I am a layman.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:27:28 PM

TMe wrote:
On Women's Day, I wanna know how many women have exempted maids from house-hold chores or other duties?

Maids? You must run in different circles than I do. We clean our own stuff.

TMe
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:48:50 PM

Neurons: 4,943

I am a layman.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:27:01 PM

Romany wrote:

I guess when women's matches start pulling in the same crowds and generating the millions of quid that male footie matches do, there'd be no reason not to pay them the same?

Yes precisely Romany.

I am the son of a woman who was widowed with three boys under the age of 10 in the 1970s, Mum worked really hard to make sure we had all the things she could provide for us. I am all for women receiving equal pay for work of equal value.

Gary98
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:41:29 PM

Neurons: 3,523,993
progpen wrote:
TMe wrote:
On Women's Day, I wanna know how many women have exempted maids from house-hold chores or other duties?

Maids? You must run in different circles than I do. We clean our own stuff.

Right. Or, I will let my footman do all the house-hold chores today, and let my maid have a day off. Let me find them first. Darn.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:22:03 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Romany wrote:

Yes precisely Romany.

I am the son of a woman who was widowed with three boys under the age of 10 in the 1970s, Mum worked really hard to make sure we had all the things she could provide for us. I am all for women receiving equal pay for work of equal value.

My parents divorced in the late 80's and she (my mom) had a terrible time initially because she didn't have anything in her name. Everything was in dad's name, the house, car, bank accounts. Mom didn't have any credit even though she was the one keeping dad's books for 25 years.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:54:26 PM

Romany wrote:

Except that they are doing exactly the same job, so why should they not be selected to play alongside men and receive equal pay?

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:50:29 PM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Romany wrote:

Except that they are doing exactly the same job, so why should they not be selected to play alongside men and receive equal pay?

Because they are not being paid for the effort that they put into the job, but for the value that they provide to the club in terms of gate receipts and broadcast revenue.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 3:01:46 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Romany wrote:

Because they are not being paid for the effort that they put into the job, but for the value that they provide to the club in terms of gate receipts and broadcast revenue.

Understood. Most fans prefer to watch men playing the game. But why are there no women in the top League or National teams? There must be some good enough. women can serve alongside men in submarines but not in the Beautiful Game.

Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 3:21:18 AM

Neurons: 494,075
Honestly, "Fans prefer to watch men doing X" has been a hoax reason for a lot of inequality. They say that about male actors, male protagonists in video games, sports and undoubtedly countless more domains. Back in the day, I'm sure backers and supporters had to fight to get a team to play (which would have featured all men) and people to show up. And they did it and it got a reputation for being fun. But now everyone thinks that this is the only way things can be?

People tried putting female superheroes into movies, like in Cat Woman with Halle Berry. And then when that movie bombed, they took it as a sign that people didn't like female protagonists, rather than, y'know, people not liking terrible movies. It took a while, but they brought out Wonder Woman, for instance, and the world didn't end. Today, there are more and more video games where you can choose the gender of the protagonist or only play a female protagonist, the world didn't end. They made good money from those games too.

People don't prefer to watch men do stuff. People prefer to watch stuff a lot of hype has been made around.
progpen
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 7:42:46 AM

I agree with Lotje. There are regional women's sports teams in the US that pull in larger crowds than the men's team, mostly because the women's team has a better record. That tends to make them more popular and more fun to watch. But that is not an easy thing as it breaks tradition and it takes more of an effort to become accustomed to following a team that looks different and plays differently.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 9:04:03 AM

There are many computer game character such as Lara Croft, Shamus Aran from Metroid, Jill Valentine and of course the options in RPGs to play female characters, and yes I have played several,of those games myself.

There are many female lead films now, such as Jennifer Lawrence in the Hunger Games and Red Sparrow, Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde and Mad Max Thunder Road (it's more her movie than Tom Hardys) and Gal Gadot was great as Wonder Woman. In the 1980s such female lead films were a rarity.

But it's taken years to get to those places and sports particularly team sports here in the UK has not got to that point, yes in the ideal world that would not be the case. But in the here and now it simple is the truth, organisations such as the RFU, the FA and Lords are trying to change it by getting female teams more support and exposure but the support for them is simply not there in the same numbers.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 11:17:45 AM

Neurons: 48,155
Women have to be doing equal work as well. For instance in tennis they only play three sets while the men play five. Men can hit the ball faster so that's another reason men's tennis is preferred.

I'm not sure about how far women drive a golf ball in comparison to the men as some women may hit it just as far. But accuracy is actually more important. Drive for show but putt for dough is the saying.

Strange how men usually prefer to watch women (women models to sell cars etc.) until it comes to sports. Think

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Romany
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:54:26 AM

The reason women have been unable to engage in competitive sport down through the ages is a purely practical one: the couldn't play when they were menstruating. The didn't even have knickers until the 20thC.

Strangely(?), when WW1 broke out men needed women to work the jobs that needed to be done with all the men away at war. So suddenly knickers were needed and men started manufacturing them for the first time in history. And then women discovered that the newly invented soft and absorbent cotton padding which had been invented to soak up blood and waste in field hospitals was perfect for their monthly needs.They made them into pads themselves until a firm called Kotex, recognising a huge new market, suddenly sprang up and began to make a business out of adapting this material for women's use.

For the first time ever men came up with products which allowed women to engage fully with life: suddenly women were free to run and jump and ride bicycles,...and to get rid of those miles and miles of floor-length clothing that were needed to protect their modesty once a month.

So there's an awful lot of ground for women to make up in sporting fields - men have a few thousand years more experience! Yet look how far, in such a short time, women's sport has already come in one measly century!! And once the generations which grew up watching only men at play has disappeared, I'm pretty confident this idea will die off too.

Currently it looks as though men haven't all adapted yet and many "still prefer watching men"! Not a sentence one has ever heard uttered at a women's Beach Volleyball comp!