The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Which is more dangerous? Options
philips daughter
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 10:57:27 AM

Neurons: 43,398
This president has put forth two extreme ideas that completely ignore the Constitution. Number one, taking guns from citizens without due process. Number two, he suggested that he might favor abolishing term limits for a president. You know, absolutely that these are two pillars of our democracy and that if anyone else had said those things people would be calling for resignation or impeachment. The GOP tries to convince us that he doesn’t mean it or that he will change mind tomorrow.

So, my question is whether his lies are more damaging or his views on the Constitution?
progpen
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 6:30:55 PM

Neurons: 261,793
philips daughter wrote:
This president has put forth two extreme ideas that completely ignore the Constitution. Number one, taking guns from citizens without due process. Number two, he suggested that he might favor abolishing term limits for a president. You know, absolutely that these are two pillars of our democracy and that if anyone else had said those things people would be calling for resignation or impeachment. The GOP tries to convince us that he doesn’t mean it or that he will change mind tomorrow.

So, my question is whether his lies are more damaging or his views on the Constitution?

Damn near every Republican Representative and Senator have told us repeatedly that we should not listen to what he says. We've also been told that lies are only lies if you own up to it. Otherwise, all you have to do is repeat it often enough that it becomes the truth.

So with lies off the table, since they just don't exist, we are left looking at his views on the Constitution.
His views are based on whoever was the last person to talk to him about the Constitution.

In short, he is the Chaos President simply because he has no concept of what a lie is or of what the Constitution is.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
progpen
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 10:11:36 PM

Neurons: 261,793
Sorry, I didn't actually answer the question (got sidetracked). I'd say the lies are more damaging because they can eventually become the truth for far too many people. The fact that he doesn't understand what the Constitution is just makes him pathetic.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
mactoria
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:22:17 AM

Neurons: 1,208,463
Phillip's Daughter: I don't think we have to choose which is more damaging in a president: his lies or his 'views' on the Constitution; they are both damaging and dangerous to the republic. As much as I support more protections from gun violence, I recoiled when I heard Trump say 'take the guns first, then give them due process.' Due process IS not taking guns (or anything else) without a warrant or an exigent need (ie a person brandishing a gun at people); allowing police to confiscate guns or anything else without due process means we have a police state, not a democratic repubic. Lying is equally as bad, particularly when too many citizens want to believe the president is telling the truth; when we can't believe many things a president says, our trust in anything he says erodes, and makes for disrespect of not just the president but also potentially the rest of our leaders and institutions.

Neither of these character failures are acceptable, they are both very damaging to the presidency and the country.