The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Massive Cost of Gun Violence Options
philips daughter
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 10:10:23 AM

Neurons: 43,398
Since we have one more mass shooting and no one knows what’s going to happen. Let us consider this. Beyond the cost in lives which is incalculable there are other cost to our nation. I know it is callus to ignore human life in this discussion but, if Congress and the president are willing to ignore it what else might move them. How about the estimated 100 billion dollars a year? Consider that states have to pick up medical costs, lost wages, higher taxes to pay for added police protection and the lowering of property values. Now, that ought to put the pinch on where their hearts really are, their wallets. All it would take to get guns off the market is if gun owners had to buy insurance to cover damages your gun might incur, accidental or not. If we regulated guns like we do cars and required insurance, inspection and registration yearly I think we might get some backing.

I just wanted to say how proud I am that high school students are taking this to Washington DC. I hope it goes peacefully. I remember Kent State and I am afraid for them. Do you think they realize how brave they really are?
TL Hobs
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:28:09 PM

Neurons: 5,521
philips daughter wrote:
All it would take to get guns off the market is if gun owners had to buy insurance to cover damages your gun might incur, accidental or not. If we regulated guns like we do cars and required insurance, inspection and registration yearly I think we might get some backing.

Now there is an idea that could get some traction! If we could get the insurance lobby behind it when they realize how much more money they could make, they probably would go for it, too. The premiums would be so high for combat assault weapons that few could afford one.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 7:26:47 AM

Neurons: 261,793
Here is a good breakdown of the costs.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-violence-costs-america-more-than-229-billion-every-year-2015-4

American taxpayers pay roughly $12.8 million every day to cover the costs of gun-related deaths and injuries— and that is a conservative estimate, according to a new report released by Mother Jones on the cost of gun violence in America.

The true cost, however, is not fully known, partly because of the vast sum that's been spent by the NRA and other gun rights activists to shut down research related to firearms, and partly because of the sheer number of expenses incurred when someone is shot.

What is known is that taxpayers cover roughly 87% of these costs,

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 7:30:32 AM

Neurons: 261,793
Two examples of the personal financial cost of being shot in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get-there/wp/2018/02/22/the-enormous-economic-cost-of-gun-violence/?utm_term=.c26b00407adf

Jennifer Longdon: $40,000 for wheelchair modifications to her home after a gunshot in a road rage incident left her paralyzed. Another $35,000 for a custom lift-equipped van.

Most of her medical bills were covered through a combination of Medicaid and Medicare. But still she had to file for bankruptcy.

“I don’t think people understand the way nickels and dimes add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars—millions of dollars—over the lifetime of an injury,” Longdon said.

Antonius Wiriadjaja: $169,000 for medical care, physical therapy and counseling. He had been walking in his Brooklyn neighborhood when a man stalking an ex-partner started shooting at her. A stray bullet pierced his chest and lodged in his stomach.

Most of that $169,000 was covered by his health insurance. But he still had $20,000 in deductibles and other out-of-pocket expenses that wiped out his savings.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
philips daughter
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 12:07:46 PM

Neurons: 43,398
TL Hobbs. Thank you for seeing the merits of this proposal. I had not considered the cost of the insurance should be commiserate to fit the potential damage done by the gun. Great idea.

Thanks for the additional information Progpen

I think this is a logical and constitutional means to regulate guns. You can’t add tax to manufacturers because it is still the miduse if the gun that caused the damage. People kill people not guns. At least that is the rationale. The misuse of a car causes the damage to others and we have to buy insurance. Even if you’be have never been in a wreck you must pay because of the potential. How is this different?

I’m going to the Supreme Court. ha ha I wish I could. As my old preacher said, “That dog will hunt”.
TL Hobs
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 11:50:47 AM

Neurons: 5,521
I think the idea has lots of potential. First of all, insurance is regulated by the states, on a state-by-state basis. That takes the argument away from the US Congress and the President, which has indicated they are going to do nothing, as usual. Prior to the 1970's most states did not require liability insurance for drivers, but with the lobbying efforts of the insurance industry, now all states require proof of insurance before issuing a license plate for a vehicle.

Secondly, gun dealers could require buyers to show proof of insured liability prior to the sale of a gun. Premiums could be based on the potential for damages based upon the rate at which bullets are discharged and the number of rounds possible per loading.

Since minors are still dependent upon their parents, the cost of insurance may keep them from buying the most nefarious weapons. If an assault occurs, the insurance would pay damages up to the liable amount and the remainder becomes the obligation of the parents. That would make them assume responsibility for their children's actions, which is something they should be done anyway.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey