The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What is the opposite of procrastination? Options
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:52:09 AM

Neurons: 39,933
excaelis, you put the boomerang in the Otto Bin, and the garbo picks it up, ha ha
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:53:34 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Thanks, Tov. The thing's been driving me crazy! Now, if I can just find my camouflage net.....

Sanity is not statistical
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:07:55 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Theres a bloke on another Topic, I'd love to see, Or not see in this case, get a really good dose of your camo net, ha ha
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:55:12 PM

" We're gonna need nets - lots of nets !"

grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:43:54 PM

Neurons: 33,836
excaelis wrote:
" We're gonna need nets - lots of nets !"

I don't know; one or two sturdy ones ought to do it.
dev_sircar
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:17:05 PM

Neurons: 1,087
Gonzalo wrote:
A few years ago, while I was taking an English class, the instructor assigned us a homework which was to write an essay about a person we know and describe his/her main virtue.

Well, my father was a model of "anti-procrastination". His motto was, "everything has to be done now!" So I decided to write about him and his "gift". But I got stuck trying to find a word that means the opposite of procrastination. The closest I could find was 'promptitud', but even that one felt it was not close enough. Any suggestions?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you permit me to coin an Inglish word, I would suggest "anti-(pro)crastination".

[Inglish word or Indian English word is a word not found in English Dictionary but is very popular in Indian usage due to their obvious meaning; e.g: prepone as an antonym of postpone, which is a true English word, whose correct antonym is advance]
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And God only said, "c" and there was "light" to let everyone "see" and Einstein extended it to "E=mc²".

man's work is from Sun to Sun; woman's work is never done! - INDIRA GANDHI : Erstwhile Prime Minister of INDIA.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:20:40 PM

Good suggestion, dev sircar, but could I propose concrastination; A little neater and alliterative too.

dev_sircar
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 1:38:24 PM

grammargeek wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
One of the sources, where I discovered mentioned phrases was Urban Dictionary, though I'm a bit careful with using it as a trusted place to search for apt and proved information there.

Smart move. The Urban Dictionary is not particularly reliable. I'd say that if you already have a word that you cannot find in a regular dictionary, then looking for it in the Urban Dictionary would be worthwhile, but always do it with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I used to subscribe to the "Urban Word of the Day," and I came to understand their process for defining words. Basically, anyone can submit a word or phrase, along with the submitter's own definition of that word or phrase. Then the readers can vote on whether they like it or not (thumbs up or thumbs down). When multiple definitions for the same word or phrase are given, the one with the most votes appears at the top. I don't think any submissions are rejected outright.

A quick look at almost any entry provides convincing evidence that correct grammar is not a criterion for publication in the Urban Dictionary. To me, that speaks volumes about the standard of excellence--or not--found therein.

DarkMoon also wrote:
Just a side note - there is a saying in my country; it's a loose translation: "All, what you should do tomorrow, do it today, and you'll have two days off". Someone, mockingly, converted it: "All, what you should do tomorrow, do it a day after tomorrow, you will have two days off". ;-)

Similarly, the saying that comes to my mind is this one: Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.[/color]

I quote an ancient Indian poet and a great philosopher, who wrote:
“Jo kal kare, so aaj kar;
Jo aaj kare, so aab.”

Translated into English, it means:
What you are to do tomorrow, do it today;
What you are to do today, do it now.

man's work is from Sun to Sun; woman's work is never done! - INDIRA GANDHI : Erstwhile Prime Minister of INDIA.
DarkMoon
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 7:20:51 PM

Neurons: 46,684
dev_sircar wrote:
I quote an ancient Indian poet and a great philosopher, who wrote:
“Jo kal kare, so aaj kar;
Jo aaj kare, so aab.”

Translated into English, it means:
What you are to do tomorrow, do it today;
What you are to do today, do it now.
[/color]

Thank you for an apt quote, dev_sircar. It seems that the same rule is relevant all over the world. :)
dev_sircar
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:13:10 AM

thar wrote:
[quote=DarkMoon]What about diligence, dispatch, discipline, expedite, actualize?

I too have found two words indicated as the opposite of procrastination on the web. According to definitions:
- "concrastinator" describes a person "who rushes to be the first to do something or does not wait to do what ever it may be",
quote]

the trouble with concrastinator is whoever made it up did not realise the root of pro cras is to "for tomorrow". to concrastinate is merely to "with tomorrow ". - Definitely do it tomorrow!

you could contracrastinate, against tomorrow , but I think that is being against doing it tomorrow as well, which seems a more compulsive form of procrastination!

Whichever way, it never gets done today!

How do the respected members consider the word Noncrastination as antonym for procrastination ?

Dreamy
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:05:38 AM

Neurons: 7,723
dev_sircar wrote:

How do the respected members consider the word Noncrastination as antonym for procrastination

When do you want to know by? That could take me weeks to consider.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
dev_sircar
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:26:31 AM

Dreamy wrote:
dev_sircar wrote:

How do the respected members consider the word Noncrastination as antonym for procrastination

You have as much time as the administration will allow for discussion on the thread.

grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:50:07 PM

Neurons: 33,836
dev_sircar wrote:
Dreamy wrote:
dev_sircar wrote:

You have as much time as the administration will allow for discussion on the thread.

It was a joke, Dev. I, for one, was proud of Dreamy's witticism.
mohican
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:23:14 PM

Neurons: 848
acceleration, perseverance, quickness, hurry.

When I split an infinitive, god damn it, I split it so it stays split. Raymond Chandler
joefletcher
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 1:55:11 AM

Neurons: 9
I would think somewhere along the lines of proaction, but all the synonyms are correct. According to urban dictionary the antonym of procrastination is concrastinator.
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:19:25 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Presumption? If procrastination is delaying something that you know you must do, then presumption would be doing something before you are sure you know what it is you are supposed to be doing?????
How do you throw away a boomerang? You throw it "down"! In the rubbish bin!

While I live I grow.
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:17:22 PM

Neurons: 117
I would say, "if anything needs to get done, he gets right on it" but you probably want an actual adjective or just one word.
nictham
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 9:39:16 PM

Neurons: 3
being spontaneous!
theone
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:22:22 AM

Neurons: 6
Tomorrow never comes. Just Now and Here.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:31:05 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Since pro means in favor of - instead of anti-procrastination how about anticrastination?
limn
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 10:54:44 PM

Neurons: 42
BonKurei wrote:

Initiative.

This is my first choice for a procrastination antonym, Tenacious would also be applicable in much of the context to use it I gather.

The unexamined life is not worth living.
Geeman
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:49:53 PM

Neurons: 122,607
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Since pro means in favor of - instead of anti-procrastination how about anticrastination?

If we get neogolistical about it, why not precrastination? That is, rather than putting things off until, precrastination is getting them done beforehand.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:27:19 AM

Neurons: 338,608
Bustling

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:05:38 AM

Neurons: 59,587
would anticrastination suppose the existence of an anticrast and in which nation is he due to appear? I have to agree that 'proactivation' sounds awful, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been used in some civil service memo/email in the UK

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Alias
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:30:57 AM

Neurons: 1,993
PREcrastination....maybe not exactly the opposite but at least it will happen "before tomorrow"....and I might add that procrastination in a literal sense implies thinking beforehand ... with a delay of a day (tomorrow) regarding an action..The delayed action is not the point, the thinking about delaying is. Now if it is a thought about an action made at 11:59:59 pm one day (today) and the proceeding action occurs at 12:00:01 am the following day (tomorow) one could assume that the delay was not significant and the perpetrator of the action could indeed be described as "dilligent"..Think

I think its about time chickens are able to cross the road without constantly having their motives challenged!
Taidin Suhaimin
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:34:43 PM

Neurons: 15
MY PROPOSED ANTONYM FOR PROCRASTINATION!

As no one has yet given us the antonym for Procrastination that I fully agree of, I'm hereby proposing an antonym for it. The proposed antonym is Prohodiation. Thus, the antonym of procrastinator shall be prohodier!

I believe that the proposed antonym is right as the root words of procrastination are pro and cras which are both of Latin origins where the each word means “in favour of” and “tomorrow”.

As the antonym of "tomorrow" can be "today" or "yesterday", we can use today or now as the better antonym for tomorrow. Today in Latin, is hodie.

Replacing the Latin word "cras" with "hodie" changes Procras to Prohodie. Therefore, if we put the root words together and add the "tion", we will get "prohodiation" as an antonym for procrastination!

I believe that there is a great logic in it and hope this proposed antonym is acceptable

Thank you!

mactoria
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:48:31 PM

Neurons: 1,103,273
Well, according to the on-line thesaurus (through dictionary.com) there are numerous antonyms for 'procrastination,' though most of them are more adjectival than straight-on antonyms. However, 'expedite' and 'accelerate' strike me as close to direct antonyms ( e.g. expedition, acceleration). I think people here trying to create an antonym like 'prohodiation' are clever but aren't likely to make it into the lexicon.