The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Head Department Options
Volcano
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 5:27:00 PM

Neurons: 1,708
Hi

I am looking for a translation of a department. Which is better or what would you suggest?

Head Deparment of Credit and Foreign Transactions

Head Deparment of Credit and External Transactions

Your last visit: Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:17:42 PM
WordsRaGoodThing
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 2:39:25 AM

Neurons: 8
"External transactions" is a much broader term than "foreign transactions." So, it depends on what you have in mind. If credit and, specifically, foreign transactions are the essential or predominant domains of the department, I'd go with "foreign transactions." If you look up the definition of "external transactions," you will find that this refers to ANY transaction between two separate entities. So, if foreign transactions are just one among many kinds of external transactions handled by the department, I'd go with "external transactions." Hope this helps!
mactoria
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:06:47 AM

Neurons: 1,107,502
Volcano: If you're looking for a literal translation of a title that already exists, then "head" is odd, but okay. However, if you're just writing up a new title, a "head department" is an unusual term, that I think doesn't really make good sense. A department usually has a "head' or leader, but it's unclear to what a "head department" could mean.
Volcano
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:51:41 PM

WordsRaGoodThing wrote:
"External transactions" is a much broader term than "foreign transactions." So, it depends on what you have in mind. If credit and, specifically, foreign transactions are the essential or predominant domains of the department, I'd go with "foreign transactions." If you look up the definition of "external transactions," you will find that this refers to ANY transaction between two separate entities. So, if foreign transactions are just one among many kinds of external transactions handled by the department, I'd go with "external transactions." Hope this helps!

The transactions are between a bank and the third parties such as the other banks, government institutions..

Volcano
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:52:10 PM

mactoria wrote:
Volcano: If you're looking for a literal translation of a title that already exists, then "head" is odd, but okay. However, if you're just writing up a new title, a "head department" is an unusual term, that I think doesn't really make good sense. A department usually has a "head' or leader, but it's unclear to what a "head department" could mean.

What about Department of...?

Romany
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:00:19 AM

Neurons: 42,273
Volcano - somewhere you may have heard the term "Head Office" which may have given you the idea of a "Head" department.

A Head Office is the main office of a large company. They have different, smaller branches of the same company in other parts of the country or the world, but the main one - the Head Office - is where the CEO and the Admins all work.

But this all refers to the same company. So we just use the company name and don't differentiate between the main office or a Regional one.

Unlike Mactoria, I don't think "Head Department of..." is "unusual" - it just doesn't exist: it's too confusing. "Head" of...what? all credit and financial transactions in the whole world? In the country? In your town? Do all the credit and financial transactions that people make every day, everywhere, have to go through this one, "Head" office? Of course that isn't what you mean - it would be impossible.

So I am just explaining WHY "Head Department of...." is not just a little "different", but is not a valid expression.