The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Trump and the “Deep State” Options
philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:32:25 AM

Neurons: 34,489
Trump built his own “deep state.” Now he needs the GOP to save him from it. - Vox
https://apple.news/A0FBk1fLdRNik1J8KQmQuFw

mactoria
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 5:46:38 AM

Neurons: 1,099,465
What Trump and his followers (and others on different sides of the political spectrum who get worked up about "deep state" conspiracies) think of as "deep state" people are just well-trained, well-experienced people committed to doing their jobs. Being professional, in the case of the justice system, just applying the law as best they can regardless of what they may personally wish or want. Public servants. At various times in American history we've respected public servants; at other times, we've whipped the hell out of them when we needed a whipping boy. Some people, Trump and his alt-right followers in this case, can't imagine that a lot of people (maybe most people) believe that they should do the job they're paid to do, regardless of how they feel personally about the rules, policies, laws, etc. Public servants aren't paid to push their personal politics or beliefs on the job, but to ensure that the law is followed. So seems the case with Rod Rosenstein: a guy who may be a conservative in his personal life, may have supported Trump (or not) who has been appointed by Republicans and Democrats alike to do important jobs because he has a history of following the dictates of the law, not of his personal feelings.

Yes there is a "deep state" but I don't mean that negatively or pejoratively as alt-righters and others do: the ongoing structure of professionals in every part of our gov't who just keep doing their jobs and implementing/enforcing the law regardless of who the president/governor/mayor is...until the law or regulations are changed by Congress/legislature/council. We are a gov't of laws, not people after all.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 7:48:52 AM

Neurons: 155,758
Thanks Mactoria - you've clarified for me what all this was about. It's just another new 'term' to make something normal sound pejorative, I guess.

There is the same (and more) in the UK government system.
MPs and Ministers come and go regularly, and they have left-wing and right-wing (and occasionally crazy) ideas about how to run the "Whatever Department" for the next year or two before it all gets reversed when another party takes over.

However, the general day-to-day running of the department (the clerks, office managers, planners et al.) are career civil servants. They are not elected, they are not politically "assigned" by a party or politician. They just have an office-job, like anyone else who works on the clerical side of industry or business. They stay on the same job despite changes in the political environment.

The effect of this is to temper the 'swings-and-roundabouts' or 'pendulum' effect of constantly changing political 'leaders'.
Sometimes, the Civil Service is, as you say, 'whipped as the whipping-boy', for being TOO conservative and changing too slowly.
As in any job, there are different people - some are just obstructionist in general, some are scared to violate any rule - even where common sense dictates otherwise, most are generally helpful, some are slow and careful, others are a bit careless . . .

It means that the country is run using the established workable patterns - but that these patterns CAN be changed, but not overnight at the whim of a temporary political "inmate" at the top.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:20:50 AM

Neurons: 34,489
https://washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/trump-election-fraud-commission-bought-texas-election-data-flagging-hispanic-voters/2018/01/22/2791934a-fd55-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.htm

The state of Texas was willing to expose all Hispanic voters in Texas. I am aghast that Trump would have tried to obtain this information and frightened that Texas was so willing to sell us out. When all Hispanic named people are being rounded up and held in their new prisons (remember what I told you the Koch Bros. new political push of $50,000,000 to build better prisons, that Koch and Betty DeVos own) at least you won’t be able to say you weren’t warned.

Just a side note, Betty DeVos, new Education Secretary advocating the destruction of public schools made much of their millions by owning private prisons. Last year in Texas it was so hot and those prisons have no air conditioning, several inmates died. I’m glad to say they were sued and the court forced them to install air conditioning this year. I don’t know if she owns those specific prisons but I know that the vast majority of people imprisoned are people of color.
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 4:41:07 AM

Neurons: 228,609
philips daughter wrote:
https://washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/trump-election-fraud-commission-bought-texas-election-data-flagging-hispanic-voters/2018/01/22/2791934a-fd55-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.htm

The state of Texas was willing to expose all Hispanic voters in Texas. I am aghast that Trump would have tried to obtain this information and frightened that Texas was so willing to sell us out. When all Hispanic named people are being rounded up and held in their new prisons (remember what I told you the Koch Bros. new political push of $50,000,000 to build better prisons, that Koch and Betty DeVos own) at least you won’t be able to say you weren’t warned.

Just a side note, Betty DeVos, new Education Secretary advocating the destruction of public schools made much of their millions by owning private prisons. Last year in Texas it was so hot and those prisons have no air conditioning, several inmates died. I’m glad to say they were sued and the court forced them to install air conditioning this year. I don’t know if she owns those specific prisons but I know that the vast majority of people imprisoned are people of color.

The privatization of the US prison system is easily one of the most dangerous domestic issues in the US today. Once privatized, there is only the short (very short) path where corporate interests use their own requirements of minimum occupancy in the prisons to force legislation through at the state level that ensures their prisons are always full. Not hyperbole or prophecy.
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2015/jul/31/report-finds-two-thirds-private-prison-contracts-include-lockup-quotas/

It is a short and easy step to creating a system of prisons that are kept full with political activists and anyone whose political views are not acceptable to the Republican Party.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum