The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Looking for Reason in Unreasonable Times" - Opinion Piece Options
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:54:59 AM

Neurons: 50,792
progpen wrote:

We in the US have an obligation and duty to fight those who are dismantling our culture and society, whether it be in local politics, the arts, education or even in our consumption model. We have the responsibility to speak out at every opportunity and to demonstrate (either in person or online). We have a moral obligation that supersedes our comfort level and demands that we use every one of our abilities and capabilities to fight those who are damaging this country's economy, its people and its laws.

I think you are right, and that's exactly what we are doing. Welcome aboard!

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:11:27 PM

Neurons: 47,698
Hey! Really great to see an American Trump/Republican and an American Progressive - Green Party, right Progpen?- agree that America needs some changes. :) Whistle Whistle Whistle

The U.S. government has a president who refused an offer to build his wall in exchange for compassionate amnesty for children of illegals who are Americans except for a piece of paper. And Kelly calls them lazy when they've tried for years to get that paper.

The U.S. government has a president who has said he would love to see a SECOND government shutdown, and it's on the verge. EdIted: I see Schumer and McConnell just made a deal to prevent shutdown. Good for them - a bi-partisan deal. Did not read the terms yet.

That same president wants 12- 25 billion of taxpayer money to build an unnecessary wall that he promised Mexico would pay for.

The U.S. government is set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year.

To give the wealthy a big tax break and the little guy enough to buy an extra cup of coffee twice a day, 1.5 trillion - I think was the figure - was just added to Today’s Federal Debt which is $20,494,245,400,584.32 - not including state, local, or agency debt or unfunded liabilities for things like social security. Federal Debt per person is about $62,808. Total by end of 2018 is expected to be 24.19 trillion.

Analysts at Cowen Research Group estimated that just Amazon, Google and Facebook will save $4.5 billion in taxes in 2018 under the new tax code.  Do you really think they will spend it on capital investments? OECD says there may be some temporary boost to GDP now but that will eventually peter out. The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation says the tax cut will NOT pay for itself as Republicans claimed.

The U.S. has a president who wants a blowback military parade with tanks and troops marching down the streets of D.C. to show off HIS might to the world. He said he wants to emulate the French Bastille Day parade. Maybe emulating France's healthcare would be more helpful to the people, especially the veterans.

I read the post of a very angry veteran (with words I can't repeat here) about using the money to help the veterans and especially the veterans with PTSD who get no help, or to help the veterans on the streets, or to help the hurricane victims who are still suffering, or to pay for some infrastructure, instead of blowing it on a parade. If he wants a parade - he should pay for it - and the veteran said he should pay for the wall too with all his billions that he saved by using tax loopholes. Trump is generous with everybody's money but his own unless he is spending it on himself, he said. Someone on Twitter even posted a pic of parades from the thirties and forties and you can guess where.

Those are just the recent topics being discussed today in U.S. "news" and social media.

I could go on about the ills of a country gradually losing what democracy it had, but this post is too long already because the facts needed to be in detail. No statements without proof. I

It would be nice if the two groups would agree on what changes and how to make the changes.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
progpen
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:50:25 AM

Neurons: 298,022
FounDit wrote:
progpen wrote:

We in the US have an obligation and duty to fight those who are dismantling our culture and society, whether it be in local politics, the arts, education or even in our consumption model. We have the responsibility to speak out at every opportunity and to demonstrate (either in person or online). We have a moral obligation that supersedes our comfort level and demands that we use every one of our abilities and capabilities to fight those who are damaging this country's economy, its people and its laws.

You use this as an opportunity to try to be funny. Thank you. We are taking this seriously, I assure you.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:26:20 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Hey! Really great to see an American Trump/Republican and an American Progressive - Green Party, right Progpen?- agree that America needs some changes. :) Whistle Whistle Whistle
The "facts" needed to be in detail? Hmm, let's look at some of your "facts".

The U.S. government has a president who refused an offer to build his wall in exchange for compassionate amnesty for children of illegals who are Americans except for a piece of paper. And Kelly calls them lazy when they've tried for years to get that paper.
First, there is no reason why the children of these illegals should get a pass (or be rewarded) for disobeying the laws of the country they now live in. If they want to be citizens, they should apply like every other immigrant.
Secondly, Kelly did not call them lazy, he said some people might say that. Now, the fact that they have lived here for most of their lives and never bothered to apply for citizenship might justify that label. What would be the reason for not doing so for 20 or 30 years?

The U.S. government has a president who has said he would love to see a SECOND government shutdown, and it's on the verge. EdIted: I see Schumer and McConnell just made a deal to prevent shutdown. Good for them - a bi-partisan deal. Did not read the terms yet.
I have no problem with that, as did the President. If the Democrats want to cut their own throat, why get in their way? Hand them a knife.

That same president wants 12- 25 billion of taxpayer money to build an unnecessary wall that he promised Mexico would pay for.
Unnecessary? By whose definition -- the illegals and their supporters or the legal citizens of our country?

The U.S. government is set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year.
And Obama doubled the National Debt from around 10 Trillion to almost 20 Trillion, and yet you praised him as a wonderful President.

To give the wealthy a big tax break and the little guy enough to buy an extra cup of coffee twice a day, 1.5 trillion - I think was the figure - was just added to Today’s Federal Debt which is $20,494,245,400,584.32 - not including state, local, or agency debt or unfunded liabilities for things like social security. Federal Debt per person is about $62,808. Total by end of 2018 is expected to be 24.19 trillion.
Was that the reason for the tax overhaul -- two cups of coffee? Not sure where you get your information, but I don't recall anyone giving that as the reason. I believe the folks who have gotten pay increases and bonuses might see it differently.

Analysts at Cowen Research Group estimated that just Amazon, Google and Facebook will save $4.5 billion in taxes in 2018 under the new tax code.  Do you really think they will spend it on capital investments? So what do you think they will spend it on? After all, these are some of the fine Liberals you support, but they run multi-billion dollar corporations that Liberals demonize as being greedy. So what will those greedy Liberals do with all that money? Opps, another major corporation just announced they will give increased pay and benefits. Damn, those Libs! They're destroying a very good talking point!...Whistle

OECD says there may be some temporary boost to GDP now but that will eventually peter out. The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation says the tax cut will NOT pay for itself as Republicans claimed.
Oh, so these groups say it will not pay for itself (despite the trillions of dollars already flowing back into the country). Well, if they say it, then it must be so. Any criticism of Trump must be true is a Liberal says it. Don't worry about those pesky things like "facts".

The U.S. has a president who wants a blowback military parade with tanks and troops marching down the streets of D.C. to show off HIS might to the world. He said he wants to emulate the French Bastille Day parade. Maybe emulating France's healthcare would be more helpful to the people, especially the veterans.
Actually, he said nothing of the kind. This was verified by Snopes (run by Liberals) as being unproven. It was just an "unverified" rumor.

Quote: "The claim that Trump wanted a “full Soviet-style inaugural parade, with tanks, missiles and missile launchers” was widely aggregated by other online outlets, but we’ve so far been unable to locate any corroboration of it other than the unnamed “source involved in inaugural planning” reference by the Huffington Post." (The Huffington Post, that fountain of truth...lmao)

I read the post of a very angry veteran (with words I can't repeat here) about using the money to help the veterans and especially the veterans with PTSD who get no help, or to help the veterans on the streets, or to help the hurricane victims who are still suffering, or to pay for some infrastructure, instead of blowing it on a parade. If he wants a parade - he should pay for it - and the veteran said he should pay for the wall too with all his billions that he saved by using tax loopholes. Trump is generous with everybody's money but his own unless he is spending it on himself, he said. Someone on Twitter even posted a pic of parades from the thirties and forties and you can guess where.
Ah, you read a single post by one angry veteran and that is supposed to represent how all veterans think? Once again, you take a single view and try to apply it to the whole population. You really shouldn't do that, you know. It simply doesn't work that way.

As for spending money, Trump did take steps to improve the VA, authorizing firing of employees who fail to do their jobs, something not in place before. And he has helped vets with their PTSD, those on the streets, signed off on billions for hurricane relief, and infrastructure. These have all been reported in the news. Well, maybe not the Liberal news org's like CNN, MSNBC, NBC, etc.

Those are just the recent topics being discussed today in U.S. "news" and social media.
Ah, yes. The social media, that "unbiased" source of information...rotf.

I could go on about the ills of a country gradually losing what democracy it had, but this post is too long already because the facts needed to be in detail. No statements without proof. I
No statements without proof, eh?

It would be nice if the two groups would agree on what changes and how to make the changes.
That would be nice, but it won't happen with the kind of distortion and omission of facts, a.k.a., proof you provided here.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:27:06 PM

progpen wrote:
FounDit wrote:
progpen wrote:

You use this as an opportunity to try to be funny. Thank you. We are taking this seriously, I assure you.

And you can be assured we are, too.

philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:31:09 PM

Neurons: 43,583
There are approximately 40,000 homeless vets tonight. If you want some facts from those who are vets please refer to the website for The Coalition of Homeless Vets. You might even be moved to help. And remember Trump is increasing troops in Afghanistan so, more are coming. Too bad Melania doesn’t have the same advocacy that Michelle did. Gosh, I miss that girl!!!!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:09:29 PM

Neurons: 47,698
FD, I don't use any of the sources you mentioned. In fact I check many sources from around the world and rely very little on American media or Americans in general for the news. I check my facts as I write.

I do wish you would stop putting words into my mouth. I never said that one veteran's tweet is what all veterans think. That is YOUR conclusion and guess about my motivation, unsupported by facts. In fact I used his words because I happen to agree with him.

You stole my line that generalizations don't work. :) But that's a good thing!

You provide no proof for your assertions but "well, if (YOU) say it, then it must be so."

But it is not. Charlie Summers, a Pentagon spokesman said he is aware of Trump's parade request, the planning is in its infancy, and they are looking at possible dates. I dunno. Is a Pentagon spokesman a good enough source? What about Huckabee-Sanders? Do you believe her? (I don't usually.)

This is what I found on Snopes re Trump's parade. I looked and did not see anywhere where it said the story was false.

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/06/pentagon-says-trump-ordered-washington-military-parade/

Snopes says they've been accused of being biased in every way possible and provide reader comments as proof.

https://www.snopes.com/info/notes/politics.asp

Even if he signed off on other expenses, he would still have even more at his disposal without a parade - unless he pays for it himself which will never happen. Holidays and some golf are fine but he doesn't even pay for all his trips to Mar a Lago, to play golf, or to go supervise his businesses on "company" time.

(Digression- Also while on Snopes re parade, this was the very first article they showed. lol

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/07/doj-contradicts-republican-claims/ )

Yes, Twitter can be very biased. It depends upon whether or not you follow reliable people and don't read the comments that follow. I can always tell which side of the fence they are on, and some of it is very sick and deplorable, especially in the comments reacting to the story. Death threats to the man they thought made the Hawaii mistake and they can't even get the right man! Vulgarity galore if one bothered to read it.

You might check the immigration laws if you want to see if what this Dreamer says is true about obstacles they face. "Americans who say just become legal do not understand the immigration system." Kelly used the old "some people" might think did he? That doesn't fool me.

Just curious. Do you blame yourself for decisions your parents made?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jose-antonio-vargas/so-why-dont-you-just-make-yourself-legal-how-immigration-process-works-and-doesn/822214051122210/

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-people-covered-by-DACA-become-citizens

::::::

So the Dems making a bi-partisan deal is "cutting their own throats". lol. That USED to be the way governments were run efficiently. The Dems go high for the good of the country and people and the Repubs say, "Thanks, Suckers."

I guess you never expected Mexico to pay for the wall?

::::
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/12/trump-tax-cuts-companies-raises-bonuses/549116/

The Atlantic has a left-centre bias. It is the third financial website I saw that said that the there were other reasons for the bonuses as well as the tax cuts. Changes in minimum wage laws and planned year end bonuses were a couple of those reasons. Wells Fargo said tax cuts didn't enter into it at first. I wonder if currying favour had anything to do with their change of heart.

::

People who criticize Obama's handling of the debt have short memories. Your country was bankrupt because of loose financial regulations, in crisis, and in danger of collapse. The crisis affected the whole world. He brought your country to where you are today. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, now that Obama's regulations have been repealed.

Furthermore it is not fair to blame ANY president for events over which he had no control. "During Obama's terms, there was less federal income than usual. The recession and the Bush tax cuts reduced tax receipts. At the same time, the cost of Social Security, Medicare, and other mandatory programs continued to increase. The War on Terror, although technically over, was still being fought in Afghanistan and Iraq." He didn't start those. In fact he tried at first to get out and was criticized for that. He didn't even have control over the budget the first year in office. You can't just take the figure on his first and last days and say that is what he increased it by as you have done.

Besides the new Party of Trump no longer worries about fiscal responsibility as the GOP used to profess they did. I've never checked but didn't they say that beloved Reagan really started the debt rolling, ended restrictions, and started the myth of trickle-down economics that you were purporting in your last post?

Do you like what Trump, has achieved, FD, in that there no longer is a Republican Party? It is now "The Party of Trump" in my opinion and that of many others.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 4:23:52 AM

Neurons: 298,022
FounDit wrote:
progpen wrote:
FounDit wrote:
progpen wrote:

And you can be assured we are, too.

Why yes, we are all well aware of that.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum