The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

sordid amorous exploits Options
vkhu
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 9:20:57 AM

Neurons: 6,033
Quote:
Their host was a heavy, rather coarse Scotchman who had made a good fortune in Italy before the war, and had been knighted for his ultrapatriotism during the war. His wife was a thin, pale, sharp kind of person with no fortune of her own, and the misfortune of having to regulate her husband’s rather sordid amorous exploits. He was terribly tiresome with the servants. But having had a slight stroke during the winter, he was now more manageable.

I don't really get the part in bold. Does that mean her husband often sexually harass the servants?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 10:08:17 AM

Neurons: 164,822
Well, the bold part just says he had a lot of sexual "adventures" which were not very moral.

The next sentence suggests that he sexually harassed or seduced the servant-girls.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 10:40:02 AM

Neurons: 43,013

Did you think so, Drago? Hmm. It was a new sentence so I didn't see a connection. The paragraph was descriptive - I just saw the "tiresome with the servants" (it didn't specify it was only the female servants) as another of his not very amiable traits: he was coarse, immoral, unfaithful and treated inferiors badly.

Not that its important - just a different viewpoint, I expect.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 1:15:53 PM

Neurons: 164,822
Hmmmm. Think Think
I suppose it's viewpoint really.

It could mean either.

I took the whole thing to be connected - 'regulating his sordid amorous exploits' to 'now more manageable'.
It's all about her having to control him, so I connected the three sentences, but I suppose his tiresomeness could be more general.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!